Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help guys and gals. I just bought a 65 galaxie convertible and now I’m in desperate need on some advice/help.

I’ve owned it for 3 weeks now. I’ve been driving it around with zero issues up until this past Sunday.

the car will not start or even turn over. I thought the battery may be bad since it’s older. Went to Napa and was told to try jumping the starter solenoid. That worked so I bought a new one. Replaced it but no luck. Still won’t start. Thought it may be a dead battery Charged it tested it (good) and reinstalled it with no luck.

when I try to turn it on I get no clicking noise from the battery or the starter. The only way to start it is by jumping the starter solenoid.
Has anyone has similar issues? Anyone have any tips or advice to get me back on the road?

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

As I understand your issue is the starter will not crank.
The starter relay passes current from the battery to the starter
The control of the starter relay is from the ignition switch. When you turn the key to start the ignition switch sends 12v+ to the relay. (via a red/blue wire) That wire has to be on the terminal marked S or the one closest to the battery cable.
The other small wire on starter relay goes to the coil and is brown

Here is a wiring diagram for a Mustang and yours will be the same.

Action

Rectangle Slope Font Schematic Line

Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

As I understand your issue is the starter will not crank.
The starter relay passes current from the battery to the starter
The control of the starter relay is from the ignition switch. When you turn the key to start the ignition switch sends 12v+ to the relay. (via a red/blue wire) That wire has to be on the terminal marked S or the one closest to the battery cable.
The other small wire on starter relay goes to the coil and is brown

Here is a wiring diagram for a Mustang and yours will be the same.

Action

View attachment 49730
I’ll have to check all my wires this weekend hopefully I can get it running. Is there any chance the issue could be with my ignition itself?

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Is there any chance the issue could be with my ignition itself?
What part of the ignition?

And .....
What is the situation?
The starter does not crank?
Or the starter does crank and the engine does not start?

If the starter does nt crank the engine then you need to focus on the starting system first.

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What part of the ignition?

And .....
What is the situation?
The starter does not crank?
Or the starter does crank and the engine does not start?

If the starter does nt crank the engine then you need to focus on the starting system first.

Action
The starter only cranks when I jump the solenoid. I’ll turn the key in the ignition and nothing no noises at all. In order to start the car I’ll have to turn the key ans jump the starter solenoid ans the car starts no issues.
I’ll have to look at all my cables this weekend from the diagram you attached and hopefully I figure it out. I’ll post on here my results. Thanks for the help.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
There are a couple of ways to "Jump" the starter relay.

If the engine runs once the starter is cranking, the ignition system works.

My guess is the small brown wire and the small red/blue wires have been crossed or put on the wrong terminals at the starter relay.

If the small wires are on the correct terminals of the starter relay then you would want to check the voltage at the end of the red/blue wire when the ignition switch is moved to the start position. Should be 12v +

Action

·
Registered
938 Posts
Help guys and gals. I just bought a 65 galaxie convertible and now I’m in desperate need on some advice/help.

I’ve owned it for 3 weeks now. I’ve been driving it around with zero issues up until this past Sunday.

the car will not start or even turn over. I thought the battery may be bad since it’s older. Went to Napa and was told to try jumping the starter solenoid. That worked so I bought a new one. Replaced it but no luck. Still won’t start. Thought it may be a dead battery Charged it tested it (good) and reinstalled it with no luck.

when I try to turn it on I get no clicking noise from the battery or the starter. The only way to start it is by jumping the starter solenoid.
Has anyone has similar issues? Anyone have any tips or advice to get me back on the road?
Hello 2180jpar,

Whilst Action covered a great deal it could be either the ignition switch itself is faulty or the neutral safety switch. Since you didn't mention your car was the XL package I assume you have a column shift car? If that's the case the neutral safety switch is near the bottom of the column near the firewall on the inside of the cabin and that switch also operates the reversing lamps. I would try wiggling the shifter whilst you hold the key in crank position to see if the starter will engage.

If you find out it is the neutral safety switch, I believe I still have an NOS still in a box for your consideration as they are not reproduced and hard to find.

Good luck.

Cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello 2180jpar,

Whilst Action covered a great deal it could be either the ignition switch itself is faulty or the neutral safety switch. Since you didn't mention your car was the XL package I assume you have a column shift car? If that's the case the neutral safety switch is near the bottom of the column near the firewall on the inside of the cabin and that switch also operates the reversing lamps. I would try wiggling the shifter whilst you hold the key in crank position to see if the starter will engage.

If you find out it is the neutral safety switch, I believe I still have an NOS still in a box for your consideration as they are not reproduced and hard to find.

Good luck.

Cheers
my galaxie is an XL I guess I assumed the issue I’m having would be the same possible problem with any trim. I opened the hood up today to check the solenoid wiring when I noticed my negative cables on the battery was corroded. I disconnected the battery to clean the posts when the negative wire disconnected from the terminal clamp itself. I’m getting new wire clamps ans a newbattery tomorrow to start with and check al my wiring from there.
I reached out to the previous owner regarding the issue to see if he had noticed this problem before. And he said he had the starter replaced a year or so ago along with the ignition. He gave me a tag number I guess that goes with the ignition. However I have no idea what I could possibly need that for?

·
Registered
938 Posts
my galaxie is an XL I guess I assumed the issue I’m having would be the same possible problem with any trim. I opened the hood up today to check the solenoid wiring when I noticed my negative cables on the battery was corroded. I disconnected the battery to clean the posts when the negative wire disconnected from the terminal clamp itself. I’m getting new wire clamps ans a newbattery tomorrow to start with and check al my wiring from there.
I reached out to the previous owner regarding the issue to see if he had noticed this problem before. And he said he had the starter replaced a year or so ago along with the ignition. He gave me a tag number I guess that goes with the ignition. However I have no idea what I could possibly need that for?
Hello,

So the XL has the centre console with floor shifter and the neutral safety switch is in there and not on the column. Buy yourself the shop manual for the wiring diagrams. Access the neutral safety switch inside the floor shift area and check for cranking B+ at the terminals when the ignition key is in the crank position and go from there based on your results.

Cheers

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Can you post a close in picture of the starter relay and the wires to it?

Automatic or manual transmission?

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello,

So the XL has the centre console with floor shifter and the neutral safety switch is in there and not on the column. Buy yourself the shop manual for the wiring diagrams. Access the neutral safety switch inside the floor shift area and check for cranking B+ at the terminals when the ignition key is in the crank position and go from there based on your results.

Cheers
Can you post a close in picture of the starter relay and the wires to it?

Automatic or manual transmission?

Action
you guys may have just fixed my issue. Now that you guys mention the neutral safety switch on the center console. I did remove a old car phone wired through the center console. I wonder I’d i bumped something by accident. I was able to start the car that day but never after that without jumping the solenoid. I’ll take a picture of the solenoid close up ans post it as soon as I get home tonight. I think the previous owner may have tried to wire too many things himself and cause havoc on the wiring.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Eventually we will get there
Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Eventually we will get there
Action
so here’s the picture from the starter solenoid up close. I also put a second image of where the wires come from just before the solenoid. I’m going tocheck out the neutral safety switch today however not really sure how to test if it’s good or bad. I saw a video on YouTube but all he mentioned is the switch is supposed to spring forward on its own. Does anyone know if that’s all I have to go off of to see if it’s bad?
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Bumper
Automotive tire Flash photography Gas Motor vehicle Auto part

·
Registered
938 Posts
so here’s the picture from the starter solenoid up close. I also put a second image of where the wires come from just before the solenoid. I’m going tocheck out the neutral safety switch today however not really sure how to test if it’s good or bad. I saw a video on YouTube but all he mentioned is the switch is supposed to spring forward on its own. Does anyone know if that’s all I have to go off of to see if it’s bad? View attachment 49736 View attachment 49737
Hello,

So the switch being spring loaded is one test criteria. The others would be is there continuity on the starter portion in Park and Neutral. And since you're there making sure there is continuity on the reversing lamp portion in Reverse.

There should be a little room for adjustment with the mounting screws in the elongated holes.

Cheers

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
The relay has the red/blue wire on the S terminal which would be a correct. Looks like a repaired brown wire on the I terminal which would be correct.

The wires while dirty appear to be hooked up correctly. However the red/blue wire is in poor shape at the connector to the relay. I would remove and test for 12v+ when the key is moved to the "start" position. If there is 12v= there, the problem is not in this area. Move on to NSS or some other area.

Action

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’ll make sure to check this out in the next few days. Dealing with a sick kids at the moment making it extremely difficult to have time to try. I will keep update any progress though. Again thanks to everyone for replying.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
The connector with the blue arrow is not healthy

Action

Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Automotive exterior Fixture

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well after much trial an error and we’ve figured out what it is. The NSS is bad. And there’s no room for adjustment with the two bolts. The switch doesn’t spring back any longer causing it not to turn on u less I manually pull it back some.
The hunt begins with finding one that’s not outrageously priced.

mid anyone k owns where I can find a fairly priced NSS for an XL I’d appreciate the input. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
That may not be easy.
The vast majority of switches are mounted on the column.

You have a floor shifter with the switch mounted down there. That is not a common arrangement.

Since the switch is bad anyway, remove it and see if you can get it to work. Or find out what is the issue. Post pictures too.

Action

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts