Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1966 galaxie 500 7 litre convertible
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
The center Joy stick switch is not working, can it be taken apart and cleaned? If so any tips. Both side tilt switches work fine. Center switch no forward, back, up, or down. Can't get any reading out of the switch.
Wood Musical instrument Finger Gas Audio equipment
Schematic Font Parallel Rectangle Engineering
Electrician Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electronic engineering

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
When you say the joy stick does not work, I assume it does not move. Please confirm.
If the center does not move it is usually because of moisture doing it's thing on metal. Frequent use is a good deterrent for that kind of damage.

I have not taken that exact switch apart. I have done other similar switches.
They do come apart because they were pieces at one point and assembled.
However, my success rate is not that stellar.
Half of the switches (mostly window) I have taken apart would never go back together. Mostly because of crimped metal that was never the same again.

Spray chemicals (Electrical cleaner) might work.
I would use a conditioner on the plastic wire insulation and connector end. The plastic/rubber tends to dry out over longer periods of time.

Looks like the end switches are held in by a bus bar that is screwed in. Removing the screws may yield some sucess.

Action

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The joystick physically works in all directions but when hooked up to power will not move the seat in any direction. When I swap wires all actuators work, I have continuity on the power side of the three relays. I can get continuity readings out of the side tilt switches but not the joystick switch.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Thanks for the clarification.

I believe that situation is due to the other car villain. Dirt!

There are contacts that are likely dirty. I would be considering massive sprays of contact cleaner before taking it apart. If that did not work, then I would be diving into dissassembly.

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
With a little bit more exploring

Here is a listing for $195 + $10.21 just to restore the switch.
1966 Ford, Thunderbird 6-way power seat control switch RESTORATION SERVICE ONLY. | eBay
This is the description:
THIS 6-WAY FORD - GALAXIE SEAT SWITCH RESTORATION SERVICE ONLY. SWTCHES ARE COMPETELY DISASEMBLED CONTACTS ARE MATCH-POLISHED AND LUBERCATED WITH DIELECTRIC SILICONE. BEZEL CHROME IS POLISHED. COMES WITH 6 MONTH CONDITIONAL WARRANTY. ( WE HAVE ALL THE HARD TO FIND SWITCH PARTS ) . ALSO SEE ITEM # 274720431366 ON EBAY. SEND YOUR REPAIRABLE CONTROL SWITCH TO ( JAMES ENGLISH, 34745 ORCHID PKWY, DADE CITY, FL. 33523. ) IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE ALL OUR PRODUCTS GO TO THE RIGHT OF OUR AD AND CLICK ON ( SEE OTHER ITEMS ). IF WE CAN BE OF ANY FURTHER HELP PLEASE CONTACT ME. THANKS JIM.

There is a switch listed by the same seller for $395 + $10.21

I do not have the experience to do the job. But I would be inclined to go as far as possible before shelling out that kind of doh. And it looks like it can be done.

Action

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I saw that listing and one for just the center joystick switch NOS for $275. I will definitely try the contact cleaner first.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All fixed. We dropped the power seat base off at a place called "The Shop" in holliser for testing. They determined the switch was bad, and they fixed it. Inside the switch is a plastic piece the joystick goes in one side and a rod like piece sticks out the other side. The plastic rod was broken off. They drilled into the plastic piece and made a small brass rod on their lathe and put that in place of the plastic rod. Switch works great. I was able to get the seat all back together and in the car before heading back to Ottawa. I did see a article on a guy that did a similar thing to a 62 t-bird 4 way switch on another site.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Thanks for posting your solution. This may help someone years from now

Action

1 - 9 of 9 Posts