Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1966 galaxie 500 7 litre convertible
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We have the power drivers seat in our 66 7 litre convertible, it works fine, but it rocks back and forth(when you learn back the front of the seat comes up a little) like the seat track has play in it. It's bolted secure to the floorpan. Is there some sort of nylon slide in the seat track that wears out, or unseen bolts we missed that come loose?
I can't find anything on a loose seat track.
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel Steering part

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
The seat track bolts to both the seat bottom and the floor of the vehicle. All of those have to be tight.
I do not believe there is any plastic in the track mechanism. And the track is not serviceable meaning if there is an issue there are not parts just replace the track.

Center console, bucket seats, power windows and the convenience group, very nice!!

Action

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
We have the power drivers seat in our 66 7 litre convertible, it works fine, but it rocks back and forth(when you learn back the front of the seat comes up a little) like the seat track has play in it. It's bolted secure to the floorpan. Is there some sort of nylon slide in the seat track that wears out, or unseen bolts we missed that come loose?
I can't find anything on a loose seat track. View attachment 50521
Hello,

You might also check for a cracked seat frame or a cracked track. Old seats, especially with overweight people getting in and out repeatedly can fatigue the metal and cause cracks. I've seen this a couple times, even on cars just 10 years old, never mind 50+.

Cheers

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, everything works except the cruise control and the vacuum controlled door locks are week(we replaced the three miles of vacuum hose when we had the car apart). I will have to take a better look at the seat next time I am down there (they moved to just out side Branson, MO). Maybe I will get lucky and find the track to seat base loose. Not many power seat tracks out there to run down.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update, the power side seat track had all 4 bushings, the non power side track was missing 3 of 4 plastic bushings. We used bushings sourced from a 67 corvette, only ones I could find, and seemed like what I saw for t birds and mustangs. Not the same as galaxie see picture but we made them work. Only play left is in the mechanism.
Rectangle Wood Font Wall Material property
Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Art
Wood Motor vehicle Gas Bumper Machine

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,319 Posts
Very nice!!!!

Action

1 - 6 of 6 Posts