Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
20190618_110159.jpg
Last part to find to Finnish the 66 galaxie 7 litre convertable. Looking for the holy grail, well almost. We have 3 of the 4 console power window switches working but just need one more switch. We had the bad switch sent off for repair but they could not bring her back to life. Need one console power window switch for 65/66. If you know of good salvage source for 66 galaxies let me know. Been searching eBay for over a year.
Thank you
Kelly

·
Registered
6,901 Posts
A lot of those switches are the same except for the shape of the button
You may try to find some other switch and use it.
I did that years ago on a door panel mounted switch

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
Looking at ebay there are a lot of thunderbird switches. Or Galaxie wagon tail gate switches. Just none for power window.

AS stated above the switch button part looks similar for the listings to what you are looking for. And they all are expensive because of how rare an option of power windows was for that period.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
2019-06-18 12.54.30.jpg
20190618_110913.jpg
Looking at ebay there are a lot of thunderbird switches. Or Galaxie wagon tail gate switches. Just none for power window.

AS stated above the switch button part looks similar for the listings to what you are looking for. And they all are expensive because of how rare an option of power windows was for that period.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Thank you both for looking. It appears the 66 galaxie has the rarest of them. I researched other switches with no luck even the same year Tbird and Lincoln are different. I think the enginer that designed them had far to many cool beans. I can get pre and post 65/66 switches just not the one I need. I know if all else fails we can rewire the whole circuit with relays and a Tbird switch. Just for fun here is what the inside looks like.

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
I would agree with your statement that 65/66 Galaxie power window switches and the entire system is the rarest of the rare. I have seen '64 Galaxies with power windows and I thought that was rare. Lots of Birds have power windows. I have seen some '68 full sized Fords with power windows. Just none of the different body style of 65/66.

With that said I have a '66 Mercury (non-wagon) with 5 power windows. It is a Breezeway. I wonder if the Mercury switches would work.

>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
This is what the master bezel in the drivers door panel looks like in the '66 full sized Mercury. The center position is a lock out switch.
>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
switch bezel.jpg

·
Registered
619 Posts
View attachment 38452 View attachment 38454
Thank you both for looking. It appears the 66 galaxie has the rarest of them. I researched other switches with no luck even the same year Tbird and Lincoln are different. I think the enginer that designed them had far to many cool beans. I can get pre and post 65/66 switches just not the one I need. I know if all else fails we can rewire the whole circuit with relays and a Tbird switch. Just for fun here is what the inside looks like.
Hello Fig,

You may want to try to give this fellow a call George 406-543-2591 he seems to have a fair sum of galaxies he's always parting out.

I do feel your pain on trying to find power windows for the '65/'66 Ford full size models. I have/am converting both our '66's to power windows and locks and our '68 XL to power windows and locks as well. It's no easy task and by pure dumb luck I was able to find a complete set of power regulators for '66 4 door hardtop and the rear regulators for the '66 galaxie 500 XL fastback. Will probably end up reworking the manual front regulators on the '66 2 door to accept the original style Ford window motor.

As for original switches they are well into the category of unobtanium. Like you mentioned I ended up using 2 relays for every window and went with the rather stylish early to mid 70's GM window switches. They are being reproduced and quite nicely too, even at 200 bucks a set now they are worth it. Not your cheap plastic rubbish that proliferates in the aftermarket circles, but full triple plated chrome all metal switches that have substance to them (actually for a switch they are quite heavy). Plus I produced a plastic socket that back lights them really nicely that gives a nice glow at night.

Good Luck on hunting down your switches.

Cheers

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
20190618_110231.jpg
2019-06-18 12.59.03.jpg
They have a srange wiring. Power in thru the middle a red a yellow and a black. The strange thing is that back switch by the rear window has power but won't work the window without a good console switch.
Dominican here is what the back of the switch looks like.
When I search I usually look for all ford, lincoln, and mercury of that era, hoping to find a match.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello Fig,

You may want to try to give this fellow a call George 406-543-2591 he seems to have a fair sum of galaxies he's always parting out.

I do feel your pain on trying to find power windows for the '65/'66 Ford full size models. I have/am converting both our '66's to power windows and locks and our '68 XL to power windows and locks as well. It's no easy task and by pure dumb luck I was able to find a complete set of power regulators for '66 4 door hardtop and the rear regulators for the '66 galaxie 500 XL fastback. Will probably end up reworking the manual front regulators on the '66 2 door to accept the original style Ford window motor.

As for original switches they are well into the category of unobtanium. Like you mentioned I ended up using 2 relays for every window and went with the rather stylish early to mid 70's GM window switches. They are being reproduced and quite nicely too, even at 200 bucks a set now they are worth it. Not your cheap plastic rubbish that proliferates in the aftermarket circles, but full triple plated chrome all metal switches that have substance to them (actually for a switch they are quite heavy). Plus I produced a plastic socket that back lights them really nicely that gives a nice glow at night.

Good Luck on hunting down your switches.

Cheers
Thanks I will give him a call

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
Based on part numbers the Mercury switches which are more common are a different part number than the Ford switches.

Which may put them in that class of parts of unobtainium.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

1 - 20 of 41 Posts