Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a pertronix ignition conversion kit.
Any advice. go with Pertronix or different brand.

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
643 Posts
There are almost as many opinions about in-place electronic ignition parts as there are with motor oil...
I'll just offer my experience: four installations of garden variety Pertronix (1281 in single point Ford V8s and 1261 for a 170 or 2000. Anyway, they've all worked without a problem for the last 10 years; including one in my employer's V8 Mustang. Sure is nice not to deal with adjusting the points nor the eventual crud that builds up. And, imho, the upsell of a Flamethrowr coil is a waste of money. Ford 427s in the 60s ran quite well with the standard yellow-top coil.
Kevin

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used Pertronix in a '67 with a 352FE, and a '64 with a 289. I eventually changed the 352FE to a DuraSpark (no reason, just wanted to give the DuraSpark a try), and upgraded the Pertronix I to a II because I had an electrical fire in the 289 (not caused by the Pertronix). I've never had a problem with any of the Pertronix, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend or use them in the future.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pertronix is a good choice for ignition systems with no available electronic conversion. The '67 up - small block Ford six can use the later Duraspark or Duraspark II igniton system with no modification. A favorite alternate to the DSII ignition module is a simple GM - HEI type 4 wire ignition module. ( The DS I uses the 'points' type distributor cap and wires and DSII has improved larger cap and 'pin' type plug wire connectors).

small block six with DS1 distributor and GM HEI ign. module.

DS II / HEI simple setup :

here's the Pertronix brand HEI module with programmable Rev Limiter - handy with performance builds.

Have Fun ...

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the advice and also on coil. so with the conversion i should still be good with the org. coil and not have to upgrade that?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
It would be a nice thing to document the installation with pics before and after.

Action

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can do.
I should have done that with the carpet install.
My next is the dash lights, replace the dash pad and repaint the steel areas that shows.
Might revamp the paint on the instremt cluster as well.

Reactions: Action

·
Registered
643 Posts
I've had Petronix on my '60 Thunderbird since 1991. My late father installed it on his '59 Ford Fairlane Galaxie 500 352cid shortly afterwards.

Petronix has never given us any hiccups after all of these years...

·
Registered
1965 Galaxie 500 convertible
119 Posts
I have Pentronix in my 65 Ford 352. Had an issue after 2 years ( I think due to me leaving the ignition switch on to long). Died on the side of the freeway. Keep your old points on board just in case. Put Pentronix II in and have not had a problem since. I do love them

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mine will be delivered today, so this weekend looks like a great weekend.

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so the one i bought off e-bay didnt pan out..........
what would be the better of the two?
Font Screenshot Electric blue Fashion accessory Auto part

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so i went with the pertronix. to many reviews on the distidutor leaking oil.

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so last night i installedthe convertion kit and i think it might need to be adjusted. it is very hard to start. so i'll have to go back to the basic. pull no1 set t.d.c. check the rotor and that little round rubber magnet thing to make sure all is lined up correctly.

Reactions: Montecresto

·
Registered
1962 Ford Falcon Futura
157 Posts
so last night i installedthe convertion kit and i think it might need to be adjusted. it is very hard to start. so i'll have to go back to the basic. pull no1 set t.d.c. check the rotor and that little round rubber magnet thing to make sure all is lined up correctly.
Hmmm? I was hoping it would be simpler than that. I’d like to do it too, but was waiting until the stock setup gave me trouble…
I’ll be interested to see what it takes to get yours running right….

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i just pickedup a carb. kit aswell just to cover all bases.

·
Registered
Lonsdale, AR 72087
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^^ what kind of carb are you getting?
so, yeasterday i pulled the carb and did a quick rebuild on it. replaced the secodary jet, plunger(again), diaphragm blew out the ports and put it al back together. made sure the felters where clear and put it all back on the motor. set the rotor to 100% at no. plug wire. so after about 5 to 6 cranks to get the crab filled with go juice it fired up. a little rough but it was running. form the adjusted the idel / air mix screw. hooked up the timming light and the timmng mark was allmost to the mid area of the motor and not even close to the tdc mark. Adjusted the distrubter by feel to get it running better. it's not smooth but it's running. i think today i'll pull the plugs and clean them and see what that does.
One bad thing i fould out doing this is that there are (2) screws that are 90% striped out on the carb. 1 at the top that hold down the main top and the other is on the diaphragm cover plate. so it there comes a time that i have to rebuild again, it might be better to get a different carb.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts