Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello out there, CaptB here, new to this site, hope i can learn some things and maybe help others also.
MY first request is , does anyone know where i can buy a wiper motor for above vehicle. I have looked at all the obvious
places.ie Mac's, ford obsolete parts, C&G, all Ford parts, etc..

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hello out there, CaptB here, new to this site, hope i can learn some things and maybe help others also.
MY first request is , does anyone know where i can buy a wiper motor for above vehicle. I have looked at all the obvious
Welcome to the Forum
What speed motor do you need?

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Looks like this seller is parting out a '67, ya might ask if the motor is available

Action

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello CaptB,

There are some options for yours. You can send yours out for rebuild and return service or I've seen a modern replacement for them. From what I've seen of the modern replacement it looks cheap and chintzy and I would never buy one, but that's just me. The problem with 1965-1968 (3rd generation) full size Fords is they are not popular and when serviceable cores get scarce you can no longer buy rebuilt units off the shelf and are relegated to sending yours in or rebuilding it yourself.

Buying another used wiper motor is probably not the best way to go as it's a 50+ year old part suffering from various common maladies such as coagulated grease, worn brushes, water ingress, dirty commutator, etc.

The flip side to this is they aren't that hard to fix if you're reasonably handy. The only real show stoppers are broken gears, severe corrosion, or worn commutator on the armature. At that point you would try another used one for still serviceable parts. Any motor rebuilder will have new brushes for it and the rest is easy to clean and repack with fresh grease at home. I've collected several of these 2 speed wipers and they all suffer from at least coagulated grease where it goes so slow it trips the internal circuit breaker and stops, then restarts.

There are other parts of these cars that are in the same category as these wipers as far as unable to buy rebuilt units off the shelf. The Ford power steering gear, the Ford Thompson power steering pump and the brake boosters also now fall into this category of rebuild them yourself or send them out.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
OK back to the serious business of wiping faster. (Wow did I just type that?)
Here is a diagram of the wiper circuit I found on the net. It is definately from a Ford shop manual just not sure which year. And it should be fairly accurate.

What you want to do is make sure the wiper motor is the issue and not the switch or wiring to the motor from the switch. Color codes may not match up and ....
In that diagram it is the red or the blue wire that makes the difference in wiper motor speed.
I think the connector shown is in the engine compartment.
Pull the connector apart
Connect voltmeter to the red wire at the connector going back to the switch and a suitable ground.
Turn on the switch to both positions. One of those positions should light up the voltmeter
Do the same with the blue wire.
If the voltmeter indicates battery voltage on both wires in some position, yes the motor has issues.
If either the red or the blue do not have voltage at least in some position the issue is back through the wiring or the switch,

>>>>>>Action
2013-03-23_203520_1964fordwiringdiagram-twospeedwiper-large.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, thanks a bunch for all the info. I did replace the switch w/NOS part, washer and low speed working just like old switch, So i guess i have and extra. i will check the voltages going to the motor like you suggest and see what i get. Thanks again

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
NOS Only
Part Number:
C7AZ-17508-A
Description:

San Jose Cal

(408) 227-2353
*Tell them you saw it on Rear Counter

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
If you call them as if that is a 2 speed number
I guessed on the number but it does fit a 1967 Galaxie

·
Registered
614 Posts
OK back to the serious business of wiping faster. (Wow did I just type that?)
Here is a diagram of the wiper circuit I found on the net. It is definately from a Ford shop manual just not sure which year. And it should be fairly accurate.

What you want to do is make sure the wiper motor is the issue and not the switch or wiring to the motor from the switch. Color codes may not match up and ....
In that diagram it is the red or the blue wire that makes the difference in wiper motor speed.
I think the connector shown is in the engine compartment.
Pull the connector apart
Connect voltmeter to the red wire at the connector going back to the switch and a suitable ground.
Turn on the switch to both positions. One of those positions should light up the voltmeter
Do the same with the blue wire.
If the voltmeter indicates battery voltage on both wires in some position, yes the motor has issues.
If either the red or the blue do not have voltage at least in some position the issue is back through the wiring or the switch,

View attachment 46099
HI Action and CaptB,

These colour wires are different than the 65-68 2 speed wipers. To test the high and low speed on 3rd gen 2 speed wipers unplug the 4 pin connector next to the wiper motor, leave the wiper motor ground connected to the firewall. Next take a jumper to the wiper motor plug and connect the blue and white wires together.

For high speed apply +12 volts to the yellow wire, for low speed apply +12 volts to both the yellow and red wires. If you do not have low speed when the red wire is connected but you have high speed on a dry window (maximum drag) then there's a chance the red wire is broken somewhere between the plug and motor internal connection. High speed bleeds off current through the resistor through the shunt winding to increase motor torque and limit high speed under no load. If there was a problem with the resistor or shunt winding under load the high speed would be slower than normal and with no load it would be screaming fast.

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,280 Posts
Perfect!!!

Action

1 - 14 of 14 Posts