Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought it would be interesting to get post from folks about how many miles they've put on their 6F35 transmission and any problems experienced or current issues .

Mine's an 09 V6 with 7000 miles . Since the Customer Sat recall at 4000 miles I've had one instance of slamming into reverse from park and what I think could be minor shift flares from 4th to 5th sometimes and possibly from 3th to 4th . The only other times I had the slamming into gear was during the first day or two I had it , which happened 3 or 4 times .
It also seems to me the fluid is darker than it should be for only 7000 miles . I really love this vehicle but feel very uneasy about the transmission .

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got my 2010 two weeks ago and I've noticed that when the tranny is cold the shifting is very clunky. I only have 1500 kms so far on the vehicle. It's definitely not one to the smoothest transmissions I've experienced.

·
Registered
132 Posts
18K miles now on mine. Concerning just the tranny - had it in to service several times since new for TSBs, and the recall (no parts replaced, just a reprogram)

I'm not happy with mine, disappointed really, since owning an Expedition (155K miles) and multiple high mileage Explorers with probably less problems combined that I've had to deal with on the Escape.

After (cold) initial startup and takeoff, the trans just doesnt know what to do. Wont shift positively, sorta hesitates / bucks a little for the first 5 minutes. Then during normal driving, hard down shifts, and upshifts...

First (and only) time I flat towed behind our motorhome, wiped out the calipers, and pads. Also, had to replace ball joints and sway bar bushings. I know how to properly config a vehicle for this type of towing...my Explorer had 25K trouble free tow miles. I believe the Escape just cant take the abuse of flat towing.

2 weeks ago I *almost* traded the Escape for a '08 Explorer with 20K miles, but have too many other things going on and couldnt get out to see it.

I really wanted to like this vehicle...but...an Explorer trade could still be in my future :(

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine is 8 months old and has only 1200 miles on it (I work from home). It was fine until the re-program. Now, on occasion, it has all kinds of fits. Sometimes shifts from 1st to 3rd, then back to 2nd, and sometimes the 2nd to 3rd shift has a very high rpm increase between them.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an up date on my transmission . I now have 8000 miles which is around 4000 miles since the Customer sat recall. As far as I can tell all is well although shifts from 1-2 and 2-3 are a little firm , but no slips as far as I can tell . Still hopeful I don't develop the infamous half-shaft leak .

·
Registered
158 Posts
At about 28K miles my 6F35 has all the flash updates (2 or 3). Shifting has been decent most of the time, although sometimes it will surprise me with a slight stutter on 2-3 upshift. Also had the infamous jolt when manually shifting the shift lever. After the last service campaign update and a few months later shifting was pretty stable and no more jolt. However, it seemed like the tranny hesitated to shift to the final gear. Clunk noise when accelerating and decelerating caused by torque converter fluid seal leak and fluid level low. Seal recently replaced and all programming reset so it's back to learning for awhile. Now the transmission shifts to overdrive more quickly. Shifts are more solid.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm just about to hit 30,000 miles and 2 years on my 2009 Mariner with this transmission. I had the repair done for the half-shaft leak, and also had the recall (reprogram only) done.

I still occasionally receive the jolting clunk when shifting from park into drive. The most recent occurrence was two weeks ago. (This is the clunk I've mentioned in other posts on this forum -- it literally jolts the car so much that it feels like another car has bumped into you.)

When accelerating at low speeds (0-5 MPH), shifting is terrible. By terrible, I mean that there is a lot of hesitation followed by a lunge forward. It seems to be worse if you accelerate normally or quickly. If you really baby it, it's not too bad.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm just about to hit 30,000 miles and 2 years on my 2009 Mariner with this transmission. I had the repair done for the half-shaft leak, and also had the recall (reprogram only) done.

I still occasionally receive the jolting clunk when shifting from park into drive. The most recent occurrence was two weeks ago. (This is the clunk I've mentioned in other posts on this forum -- it literally jolts the car so much that it feels like another car has bumped into you.)

When accelerating at low speeds (0-5 MPH), shifting is terrible. By terrible, I mean that there is a lot of hesitation followed by a lunge forward. It seems to be worse if you accelerate normally or quickly. If you really baby it, it's not too bad.
I'm at 9500 miles now and shifting seems OK , however 1-2 and 2-3 seem fairly abrupt( especially 1-2 ) and firm but don't appear to slip(rev between shifts). I'm still keeping my fingers crossed on the potential half shaft leak .As far as the jolting clunk from park to drive I haven't had that for quite a while now , knock on wood ! I really like this vehicle but still very apprehensive about the transmission .

·
Registered
41 Posts
FWIW the recal # 1051B did resolve the shift flare 1-2, 2-3 shifts. PCM was reflashed with it and another about a year ago. I did not experience the "jolt" some report. Also had the 1/2 shaft tranny case recal done also

with 25k mi on it the car seems to operate correctly now

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WPTSKI just posted a thread about a new TSB 10-21-9 for shifting issues on the 6F35 automatic .

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hate to say it but I think I may be getting some shift flares from 4th to 5th sometimes . I had all the early PCM re flashes done and the customer sat recall but I was under 7K miles so they didn't do the load test . I've got around 10,500 miles on it now . Is anyone else having this ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I get them sporadically and always under light throttle. Under heavy throttle the shifts are always very crisp. I am going in for 30k service next week, I will ask my dealer if there is a Mazda equivalent to the latest TSB WPTSKI posted for 6F35 shifting issues and share what (if anything) they do.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I get them sporadically and always under light throttle. Under heavy throttle the shifts are always very crisp. I am going in for 30k service next week, I will ask my dealer if there is a Mazda equivalent to the latest TSB WPTSKI posted for 6F35 shifting issues and share what (if anything) they do.
I would appreciate any info ...Thanks !!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm going to have to keep my eye on this thread. Brand new 2011 XLT - 200 miles. No signs of anything (yet).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Had the car serviced today for the 30k, and brought this up. They road-tested and did a code scan, nothing out of the ordinary reported by the tech, but it has been noted in my file. Anything I've seen is pretty sporadic, and if it does seem to "flare" on a shift it is maybe 100 rpm or so at most...very minor. Nothign you can really even see on the tach, more something you hear. On my original transmission prior to any reflashes, it might jump several hundred rpm on certain shifts.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Had the car serviced today for the 30k, and brought this up. They road-tested and did a code scan, nothing out of the ordinary reported by the tech, but it has been noted in my file. Anything I've seen is pretty sporadic, and if it does seem to "flare" on a shift it is maybe 100 rpm or so at most...very minor. Nothign you can really even see on the tach, more something you hear. On my original transmission prior to any reflashes, it might jump several hundred rpm on certain shifts.
I'm not sure why dealer's are reluctant to perform a PCM reflash that only takes 15 minutes to satisfy a customer. At least take a shot in the dark, hey?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm not sure why dealer's are reluctant to perform a PCM reflash that only takes 15 minutes to satisfy a customer. At least take a shot in the dark, hey?
I agree , some of the better dealers will do that .

·
Registered
2 Posts
18K miles now on mine. Concerning just the tranny - had it in to service several times since new for TSBs, and the recall (no parts replaced, just a reprogram)

I'm not happy with mine, disappointed really, since owning an Expedition (155K miles) and multiple high mileage Explorers with probably less problems combined that I've had to deal with on the Escape.

After (cold) initial startup and takeoff, the trans just doesnt know what to do. Wont shift positively, sorta hesitates / bucks a little for the first 5 minutes. Then during normal driving, hard down shifts, and upshifts...

First (and only) time I flat towed behind our motorhome, wiped out the calipers, and pads. Also, had to replace ball joints and sway bar bushings. I know how to properly config a vehicle for this type of towing...my Explorer had 25K trouble free tow miles. I believe the Escape just cant take the abuse of flat towing.

2 weeks ago I *almost* traded the Escape for a '08 Explorer with 20K miles, but have too many other things going on and couldnt get out to see it.

I really wanted to like this vehicle...but...an Explorer trade could still be in my future :(
Hello Knagy389us,

How far did you flat tow your escape b/f the brakes etc. failed?

Have you seen the reports of the 6f35 tranny burning out in a few hundred miles of flat towing? FMCA forums have extensive posts on this problem.

pkvietisnkas

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We have a couple of threads on flat towing with the escape in our escape forum. Certain TSB's (technical cservice bulletins) are listed.
Thanks for posting.
Poppy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts