Ford Automobiles banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hello Knagy389us,

How far did you flat tow your escape b/f the brakes etc. failed?

Have you seen the reports of the 6f35 tranny burning out in a few hundred miles of flat towing? FMCA forums have extensive posts on this problem.

pkvietisnkas
300 miles total. I believe my supplemental brake system being incorrectly setup caused this.

Yes, have been following this tranny issues form the beginning...had the fluid level adjusted as per TSB, didnt have a problem after towing BUT have not towed since.

Should be towing again this year soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 201q Escape was great until the transmission went out at 180000...it was flushed at 100000 miles and no issues then..but it started shifting hard and then slipping...I towed quite a bit with it after 80000, so not sure if that brought on any issues. Now to the rebuild...took it to a chain ship, "MR Transmission". They had it for 2 months!! Burned up the first rebuild..I think it was the first 6F35 they ever touched. And I don't think they cleared the TCM..it still on occasion shifts hard 3rd to 2rd slowing down and 1st to 2nd accelerating. I have not had time to get it to a dealer. The Mr Transmission chain will never see me again. $3000 & all I got was a rebuild with 12mos /12000m warranty, which at 198000 I was out and now it's been almost 2 yrs since the rebuild but it's hard shift and I think a fluid leak, due to it not showing on the dipstick yesterday, still has me worried.

I wonder if any updates are outstanding? I bought it "used" from a Ford dealer with 20k miles on it in 2012. Got an aftermarket 5yr/100k warranty on it...last warranty work was at 99997 miles! But the dealer where I had it at did not do a good job on the AC or cleaning the injectors iirc.

Is there a list of TSBs I can view to see what may be missing in the TCM, etc? What does a Ford dealer charge for clearing the TCM and/or flashing new software? I have 204k now and she is in need of major parts changes, front right strut, sway bar, and more but it still gets 30+ on highway and I hate to scrap her...probably keep it as a work SUV and get another similar model...I don't like the 2013 redesign...so it won't be one of those.

Thanks
Chris
2011 XLT V6, FWD, plenty of towing thru the years

21 - 22 of 22 Posts