Ford Automobiles banner

Should Ford extend the warranty on the new 6 speed transmission ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to issues with the new 6 speed transmission , should Ford extend the warranty on them for existing owners to ease their customers concerns and restore their confidence ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Absolutely. All they need to do is extend the warranty on the transmission and nothing else to make me happy. Through the 10B15 campaign, they are willingly admitting that there are problems with the 6F35 transmission. If they are confident in the repair done by 10B15, I don't see any harm to Ford in extending the warranty on the transmission to anyone who had 10B15 completed.

It would go a long way in restoring my faith in Ford. As of right now, would I buy another Ford in the future? Yes. Would I also consider other manufacturers the next time around? Yes, and that's not something I would've done before.

·
Registered
890 Posts
it looked a little one sided to me...
it could just be me, but why don't you just get a different ford already instead of whining about the escape? nobody really liked the mustang 2, or it's problems, but the 75-78 sold more than any other mustang in history. 74 didn't have the v8...

In addition, the 6F35 transmission was jointly developed with General Motors Corp.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Due to issues with the new 6 speed transmission , should Ford extend the warranty on them for existing owners to ease their customers concerns and restore their confidence ?
They sure should.
I was at our Dealership yesterday and it's keeping the Trans Tech Busy

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
With the high cost of new vehicles today, it is my opinion that all new cars should come with a 100,000 mile engine and drivetrain warranty. OR rather than a Mile guage for determining usage, a tachometer that measures 100,000 revolutions like they have in small airplanes.

Ofcourse, I'm just a consumer, and have not done any market analysis, nor have I done any repair rate analysis.

I don't know what kind of warranty was on the 6 speeds, when they came out initially, and I don't know what the extended warranty is, so without that info, I can't even begin to intelligently cast my vote.

·
Registered
890 Posts
it is my opinion that all new cars should come with a 100,000 mile engine and drivetrain warranty.
i'm use to seeing this as the normal warranty in my town. that's why i was wondering why people wanted extended warranties. it's a 10 year 100,000 mile warranty because the dealership stands by it's product around here

·
Registered
71 Posts
Section not pertanent to the POLL was deleted by poppy

Ford dropped the ball by producing a defective transmission. If the 10B15 recall resolved the problems, then things are good. However, as you can read on these forums, something seems a little suspect about these transmissions even after the repair. Ford openly (and thankfully) admitted that there are problems through the 10B15 program. We're not making this stuff up, and we're not looking for handouts from Ford. If they stand by their transmissions, they would have no problems offering an extended warranty on them. The Sable I traded in for the Mariner lasted me 12 years without a single transmission issue. If the 10B15 recall has resolved the problems with the 6F35 transmission, Ford shouldn't lose a dime on an extended warranty. In fact, it may help them in the long run as it would be a gesture of good faith that maintains (or wins back) the loyalty of their customers. It takes much less effort to retain a customer than it does to try and gain a new one.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the high cost of new vehicles today, it is my opinion that all new cars should come with a 100,000 mile engine and drivetrain warranty. OR rather than a Mile guage for determining usage, a tachometer that measures 100,000 revolutions like they have in small airplanes.

Ofcourse, I'm just a consumer, and have not done any market analysis, nor have I done any repair rate analysis.

I don't know what kind of warranty was on the 6 speeds, when they came out initially, and I don't know what the extended warranty is, so without that info, I can't even begin to intelligently cast my vote.
The Escape comes with a 5 year 60000 mile drive train warranty .

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ford dropped the ball by producing a defective transmission. If the 10B15 recall resolved the problems, then things are good. However, as you can read on these forums, something seems a little suspect about these transmissions even after the repair. Ford openly (and thankfully) admitted that there are problems through the 10B15 program. We're not making this stuff up, and we're not looking for handouts from Ford. If they stand by their transmissions, they would have no problems offering an extended warranty on them. The Sable I traded in for the Mariner lasted me 12 years without a single transmission issue. If the 10B15 recall has resolved the problems with the 6F35 transmission, Ford shouldn't lose a dime on an extended warranty. In fact, it may help them in the long run as it would be a gesture of good faith that maintains (or wins back) the loyalty of their customers. It takes much less effort to retain a customer than it does to try and gain a new one.
fair enough. like the car that's been over at my house a lot, 3/4 of it is still from the factory in 1978 with almost 32 years/500,000 miles on it. that's why i stil believe in ford's

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think any of us were putting Ford down on this thread , I know that wasn't my intent. As we all know it's not a perfect world and sometimes things go bad and mistakes are made. Yep , I even made one once !! Ha ! LOL ! But I do think all of us including corporations should strive to be honest and do the right thing. That means taking responsibility for our actions and mistakes . I truly believe in the end it pays , and it's the right thing to do ! I guess this sounds very old fashion , and that's a shame . I do think ford has done a lot to resolve the transmission issues , but to take the step of extending the warranty by a couple of years and 25000 miles would benefit them and there customers . And if all the transmission issues are resolved it shouldn't be that that costly for them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
as such, i'm willing to admit i did come on a little strong, and i do apologize for any hard feelings i may have caused. like i said after poppy said something. i'm use to seeing all fords with 10 year/ 100K mile warranties. that's why i thought the way i did when you were saying more. sorry

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I don't know where your seeing all Fords with 10 year / 100,000 mile warranties ?
The only thing I can guess is that it's a dealer gimmick and the work is only warranted through that specific dealer. Ford's warranty on the Escape is clearly spelled out in the manual -- 3/36,000 bumper to bumper and 5/60,000 powertrain.

We used to have a Hyundai dealer around here that did the extended warranty gimmick. They claimed a 20-year/200,000 mile warranty on the Hyundais they sold (as long as the work was done through them). The dealer ended up selling out to someone else, and now the warranty isn't honored. Some deal that turned out to be.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
The only thing I can guess is that it's a dealer gimmick and the work is only warranted through that specific dealer. Ford's warranty on the Escape is clearly spelled out in the manual -- 3/36,000 bumper to bumper and 5/60,000 powertrain.

We used to have a Hyundai dealer around here that did the extended warranty gimmick. They claimed a 20-year/200,000 mile warranty on the Hyundais they sold (as long as the work was done through them). The dealer ended up selling out to someone else, and now the warranty isn't honored. Some deal that turned out to be.
this one is dealer specific, but unlike the hyundai dealer this one has been around since 1921. my probe was covered wherever i brought it at the 90,000 mile mark in 5 years. yes warranty in WI, worked on in CA without problem

·
Registered
890 Posts
Unfortunately, that's the warranty that you have to pay extra for. If my vehicle is working properly and is well-maintained, I shouldn't need it. So far, I didn't need it on a '90 and a '97 Sable. I also didn't need it on an '02 Cougar. I just assumed the quality of my Mariner would at least be the same.
you pay extra for that? well hell. that kinda makes it not worth it then... i've never thought about it before

·
Registered
694 Posts
In addition, the 6F35 transmission was jointly developed with General Motors Corp.
I actually looked that up some time ago, found its GM counterpart but found nothing on search for problems.

The 6F35 has some bigger brothers too. The 6F50 goes into the Edge and Taurus and the 6F55 into the Taurus SHO. I think that the Edge has had similiar half-shaft leaks as the 6F35.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
wouldn't you trust his opinion if he worked at the ford dealership for the last 10 years, and his dad's 34 years there too?
Not if he's advertising a free 7 year 100,000 mile warranty !

I think it would be best if you find out some facts before you comment .

I think your talking about an extended warranty that isn't free .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.