Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2005 E150, 150K miles service. Plugs 1-7 changed out but #8 must have blown by. Seems someone had put a replacement coil there and maybe changed the plug and left it loose, or there was blow-by already and that killed the coil, because there is so much hardened muck and grime I can't get a plug spanner to it yet. Been trying to clean it out all day with spray brake cleaner with no joy. Finally filled the well up with pretty strong purple degreaser and opened a bottle of wine.

I know these van are prone to blow-by at the factory spec torque but surprised as I'm sure these plugs are original. (see my other thread about the coils).

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
5.4l or 4.6l 3v engine?

3-valve 5.4 L and 6.8 L engines built before 10/9/07 and 3-valve 4.6 Ls built before 11/30/07 found 2004–2008 FLM vehicles have an issue with difficult-to-remove spark plugs. The spark plugs are two piece. The space between the plugs and head at the bottom of the plug gets stuck and the top half of the plug breaks off of the bottom half. Then extraction becomes interesting.

>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Spark plug removal is easier on a warmed up engine because the carbon holding the bottom half of the spark plug is softer and allows the spark plug to spin easier.

Reinstalling with really high temp anti- seize reduces the issue for next time. High temp as in 2000+ degree. The aluminum based stuff isn't acceptable.

>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I'm using the good anti seize even though I will not be doing this again. All the other plugs while needing a good tug came out OK. This problem with #8 is so much blow-by solids can't get the socket down low enough to reach the plug. Hopefully tomorrow will see it done.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Or valve cover gasket leaking and oil cooking on the spark plug.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or valve cover gasket leaking and oil cooking on the spark plug.

>>>>>Action
maybe in past. As of now the replaced coil was clean save at bottom

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Interesting.

Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Action, I just got that last plug out and cleaned the hole. No sign of blow-by and all clean up above. Plug looks different than others in that it has had no anti-seize applied. Maybe this plug blew out in the past and was replaced without cleaning the hole and the old grunge melted and recovered the new plug???? As I said the congealed and hardened grunge was deep enough so that the socket would not go onto the plug. I'll let you know when I get her to fire up.

Reactions: Action

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Pictures would be good also.

>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To get to the plug and loosen it needed a flex adapter, a 3" rod with a swivel, another 3" rod and another swivel to a 24" rod then a 3' prybar to turn. The only camera would have been an inspection one.
I removed and replaced all 8 plugs without removing any parts of the engine, just the air intake. Several have said that is impossible but it can be done.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
I meant a picture of the old plug after removal

>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CORRECTION. CORRECTION.
Got in there with better light and mirror. There IS oil seeping from valve cover gasket. Do you tighten the small nuts with the rods protruding from them as well as the single nut on each end of gasket cover?

·
Registered
7,048 Posts
CORRECTION. CORRECTION.
Got in there with better light and mirror. There IS oil seeping from valve cover gasket. Do you tighten the small nuts with the rods protruding from them as well as the single nut on each end of gasket cover?
If you have to take them off I would say yes
If you remove the stud its with the nut on it
probably not
I would not over tighten any of the small bolts
Just make sure the valve cover and the head is cleaned up nicely

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The 8 bolts holding the valve cover gasket are already very tight. I'll just clean up and keep an eye on it to see if any new leakage.

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
Likely the gasket & tube seals will need replacing to end the oil leak.

And if the oil does not leak a lot as to ground out the plug or damage the coil boot you should be OK at least for awhile.

>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,671 Posts
The modular engine has valve covers that bolt down over the gasket. The spark plug tube seals are just held in place from the cover. They can get twisted or smashed and are subject to a great deal of heat as well.

>>>>>Action
ai.ebayimg.com_images_g_DTIAAOSwFRpdcol7_s_l640.jpg

1 - 17 of 17 Posts