Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short the switch that operates the top broke and replaced it with what i assumed was almost identical part however the top would go down but not up. By jumping the wires, bypassing switch I was able to raise and lower the top.
In the process of trying to fix the switch the top no longer responds and pretty sure I blew a fuse but all the fuses in the fuse box look normal.
Two questions:
1.Where might the fuse be located for the top?
2. Any suggestions on replacing the switch. The original one had only three prongs on the back but replacement has six.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Not sure what I am looking at, sorry!!!
To be honest with you I'm not sure either
It looks like 1 and 3 wires go into the#2 post on the 3 post switch
4and 6 go to the other post
I'm not sure but on your 6 pole switch one with the knurled post may just be a mounting stud
Our Moderator has a 71
Maybe he can do a better job explaining the system
I am sorry for the confusion

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

You got a window switch not a top switch. The circuits operate differently and they are wired differently.
I will get some more data soon as I get to my Ford MPC versus the LM MPC

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
The convertible top switch is the same for full sized Ford for model years 1969 & 1970 (Which is a blessing because from 1965 to 1968 the switches are single year only.
C9AZ 15668 A
The engineering number on the switch will be C9AB 15668 B

The convertible top circuit protection is a circuit breaker mounted on the starter relay where the batter + cable mounts. This will be shown in the owner's manual.
If you have power windows there may be two breakers.
The breaker will trip is the current flow is exceeded. Then the breaker needs to cool down. Or the breaker has been damaged and needs to be replaced.

Action

Reactions: Dominick 1

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Highly recommend getting a shop manual set.
I prefer a hard copy version however a CD version is available. Both can be found on E-bay

I also recommend other publications
The wiring diagram. This is a cumbersome 11" X 17" - I have only seen this in paper

And the Master Parts Catalog both Text and Illustrations, this hundreds of pages in paper is far far better in a CD format

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
This is the wiring diagram for 1971 (I have most of the diagrams from 1964 to 2006. I collect literature too)
Covers all models
Is big, heavy and sells for $75 to double that

You can get aftermarket diagrams or find stuff on the net for free. Both may yield what you want for the moment. And both can lack detail.

Action

Wood Font Rectangle Composite material Writing
Font Rectangle Gas Signage Paper

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
A shop manual set
By CD OEM Repair Maintenance Shop Manual CD Ford Lincoln/Mercury All Models 1970 | eBay
Hard copy 1970 Ford Car Shop Manual Full Set Volumes 1-5 1st Printing September 1969 | eBay

The shop manual will have individual circuit wiring sometimes. Other times just a a text of the circuit.
For this year until the late 1970s the shop manuals had all models. That wasn't too bad because cars were not that complex. As newer cars got more complex the models had to be split out individually.

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to the FFO!

You got a window switch not a top switch. The circuits operate differently and they are wired differently.
I will get some more data soon as I get to my Ford MPC versus the LM MPC

Action
Yes that is correct and my mistake was assuming the windows switch would work. I was able to find the blown fuse and now need to find a top switch. Be damned if I could find one.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes that is correct and my mistake was assuming the windows switch would work. I was able to find the blown fuse and now need to find a top switch. Be damned if I could find one.....
I can find them for the Mustang but not for the LTD which is different. Thanks again for your help.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
That is a rather common thing. Mustangs are very popular so the after market would builds to the buyer pool.
Not as many full sized guys
The part number is different. Don't know if that is because of looks or because of wiring differences.

It took me many months to find a short piece of body trim for my 71 LTD. I am sure I would find anything for a Mustang in rather short order.
Well I might be wrong. I picked up a '67 Lincoln engine. Came with a lot of parts including a radiator fan that was loose. When I got it home I discovered the correct fan had a fan clutch and this was a 7 blade factory flex fan. The application was rather narrow. 70 to 72 Ford/Mercury 429 CJ and SCJ for Mustang/Cougar & Torino.
Sold it for $355 plus shipping! Blew me away on this auction listing

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
Unless it is broken, if your switch looks like the one in the first post, it can be taken apart.

Action

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am reluctant to take the switch apart, broke the original one trying to take it apart to see what was wrong. I will just keep searching and there's a couple places I need to call next week that might have the part. Thanks for your help sir, greatly appreciate it!!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE::
I ended up ordering this switch and after I ordered it I was able to track down a salvage yard that had a 71 Ford Convertible with the same switch. If I am correct the below switch will work also.

View attachment 49471
The switch in the pic did not work and blew a fuse. Waiting on other switch from salvage yard. I wish I was an electrician and understood why this switch doesnt work.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,559 Posts
You do not need to be much of a electrician.
You do need to be able to read
Then you need something to read which is a wiring diagram.

Action

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.