Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was posting on the other board, but since I'm able to post here now.
I'm going to try to keep a commentary going about my restore to a driver condition. I have it running. I just installed the Ignition switch that I picked up at the local salvage yard. "It's nice to have one close":D.

Now I do have a question when I was done, Hmmm I seem to have a spring left over . It is about 1 and half inches in diameter and with about and 1" flex. Can someone please tell me where it goes?

Next question Where can i get exhaust manifold pipes? these are non existant. I want to run everything straight back to just before the rear axle.
Any suggestions?

Also I gotta get carpet, and either front seat upholstry or antoher seat.

I'm done now....;)

·
Registered
534 Posts
have you considered going to a custom exhaust and having them done from manifold to tail? but if not, I think napa might be able to help.

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
If youy had the ignition out and have a leftover spring, I'm guessing its the one that goes between the back of the ign. and the dashboard to keep it from loosening up or rattling around. Good luck with the resto, these things were built to drive and I don't see why you should just throw it on the shelf just because its old. Rich

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, the stop today was for Cherry Bombs at the local autozone. I did try Walker exhaust online but they don't deal with it either. I guess i'll have to look for a local bender to make what I want. I really wanted to see Just how many parts can be found from off the shelf stuff to put it back in running order. The Dash has a crack through the center. I'm not sure what to do about that. I'm going to try to post a pic of the day after pickup of the car.....Here goes

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dang,I forgot. where can I find a fuel sending unit? This one was so plugged that I had to break off the bottom and clear it out before I could use it. Then I put an filter just outside the tank to keep trash out of the lines.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Try justdashes.com You can send your old one in and they will fix it as good as new but with better long lasting materials.

Ok, the stop today was for Cherry Bombs at the local autozone. I did try Walker exhaust online but they don't deal with it either. I guess i'll have to look for a local bender to make what I want. I really wanted to see Just how many parts can be found from off the shelf stuff to put it back in running order. The Dash has a crack through the center. I'm not sure what to do about that. I'm going to try to post a pic of the day after pickup of the car.....Here goes

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Manifold pipes are bent! they should be close for me to install. The expander for their machine has been ordered. The pipe I'm using is thick walled stuff. I'm not going to try to use a hand expander on it. I'm going to wait until their part comes and and take the pipes back over for sizing. No extra charge!
I have a million other things to do.

·
Registered
534 Posts
pipes

Manifold pipes are bent! they should be close for me to install. The expander for their machine has been ordered. The pipe I'm using is thick walled stuff. I'm not going to try to use a hand expander on it. I'm going to wait until their part comes and and take the pipes back over for sizing. No extra charge!
I have a million other things to do.
you said thick walled, what are the pipes made of?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best way I can explain it is that there are 2 types of pipe. Lightweight stuff that you can buy at places like pepboys, autozone, and others. This is heavy gauge. I did find a site that explained it, but dang if I can remember where I found it. I'm going to have to go looking. I'm courious now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
found it! One size is 16 gauge, the other is 18. 16 gauge is the heavy one.

·
Registered
534 Posts
olrustysghost, no, i mean, steel, galvanized aluminum, or stainless steel? I used galvanized aluminum, resistant to rust, lightweight, easy to bend on a machine, not like flex-pipe but who wants to put that crap on their vehicle:nono:. Every vehicle i own has aluminum on it and i have never had a problem. some of my exhaust is ten years old with absolutely no rust.(Hint, do not weld or braize connections, that is where rust will start. use expander and good clamps) that way if you change your mind about mufflers etc it will be much easier to change without destroying the system

·
Registered
6 Posts
check this

well i have a 67' but i recently did both upgrades that you speak of... The fuel sender i got from Dearborn Classics, it was 100 bucks, and i installed in an hour, piece of cake, & nice to watch the fuel gauge goto "F" when full.... as for the exhaust, check out my video on flowmasters, i removed my old glasspacks, & i ran them straight from the engine back....
good luck!

well it wont let me post a video, but if you goto you tube and search
"galaxie.mov" its the first link....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pipes are on! I had to do a little tweaking to get them right. I added the cherry bombs and I couldn't wait to hear what it sounded like. I fired it up, sounded pretty good, I still have to feed them out the side or the back. Thats when I discovered that the carb was puking gas all over the engine. I guess the float was sticking an I had to shut her down. ahhh well, I'll try to get to that this weekend.
One more thing to do, and one less to do....

·
Registered
109 Posts
:crazy:Allways fun with these old Fords, right?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is just a comment. I started cleaning the carb yesterday and as I was taking it apart and using carb cleaner on it I kinda did something stupid. I was working on a thing called the screw pump outlet orfice. I pulled it and as I was inspecting it there was a do-hicky(weight ball) on the bottom of it. I tried pulling it out but it wouldn't move. Great! it doesn't come apart! So, like the bright person I am, I'm holding the peice in one hand, the spray can im the other, sprying this sucker good! WHen I'm done I take another look, and what I thought didn't come apart, was gone! Nope, I wasn't holding it over a pan, a table, nuthin. I was holding it over the edge the the deck, about 8 feet off the ground. So the piece went bye bye, never to be seen again. I'm going to have to go to the local salvage yard and get another carb just so I can get the piece I sent sailing into the yard. Believe me, when your working on and old car things that you need can disapear in a hurry. Be vewy vewy carefull!:nono:

·
Registered
56 Posts
That is the heat riser. It is very useful in cold weather warm ups, but is certainly not mandatory.

BTW, when I got out of the Army in July 1971, when I got home, my Mom had a brand new 1970 Galaxie 500XL that looked like the one in your picture. It was blue with a black vinyl top. Your picture brings back memories.

·
Registered
534 Posts
have you thought of going through the yard with a large speaker magnet?

·
Registered
534 Posts
olrustysghost, can you post a picture of the part you were working on? I dont think it was the heat riser if you were working on the carb.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope, can't post a Picture. Not that I wouldn't , it's just that I have no clue what the little sucker looks like. One of the guys I work with is going to bring in an Old Carb "snicker"get that, old carb! for me to salvage the part from. That won't be for a week, cause guess what, I'm off!
The only other option is to go to the local salvage yard and pick up one from there. I would much rather have one for free than have to by one....

I like the idea of the magnet, I use it a lot. I'm thinking the part is prolly going to be brass, copper, magnesium , or aluminum, or something of that nature.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts