Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, i have a fairly large steering wheel on my 72 ford. The truck has power steering and the steering is REALLY sensitive. I was thinking about swapping a smaller wheel for comfort and a slightly less sensitive steering. What steering wheels would work? I'm looking to go cheap. And I was thinking about removing the fuel tank in the cab and putting a sub woofer and (2) 6X9 Speakers back their along with a small amp. I already have a set of 5x7 speakers in the doors and their is not much room under the seat for speakers. Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Registered
534 Posts
well, first, where would you put the gas tank?
second, that generation truck was notorious for turnovers resulting in fires. Im not saying it is a bad vehicle, im simply referencing an issue out of the 70's era which resulted in a design change.
my opinion, subwoofers in a cab that small?
well if you do have a better place to put the tank, please let us know

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Hey Guys, i have a fairly large steering wheel on my 72 ford. The truck has power steering and the steering is REALLY sensitive. I was thinking about swapping a smaller wheel for comfort and a slightly less sensitive steering. What steering wheels would work? I'm looking to go cheap. And I was thinking about removing the fuel tank in the cab and putting a sub woofer and (2) 6X9 Speakers back their along with a small amp. I already have a set of 5x7 speakers in the doors and their is not much room under the seat for speakers. Any advise or opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
I'd leave the fuel tank alone.
Why don't you put the speakers on each side of back panel.
And when you get older like me.
Get some good hearing aids:(

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm 16 and this is my first vehicle. I simply love the 67-72 F100 and F250 Pickups. The Gas tank in cab defiantly has me worried about an accident or fire. The truck has a secondary tank under the bed i would use instead of the in-cab tank. Each Side of the Back Panel? I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The truck is very loud as is due to gearing and poor exhaust. To keep up at highway speeds in 3rd i'm going around 4500 RPM I think (no tach) and the exhaust is directly under the cab. The previous owner installed a Chevy exhaust directly underneath and it is loud. The subwoofer is just an idea. i think if I keep driving the truck with the loud muffler it has I will be needing a hearing aid soon myself. Thanks

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I would redo the exhaust and make it at least exiting in front of the rear wheels
but having it go out through the rear as is was designed to do would be better for noise and carbon dioxide problems.
The panels I was talking about are the ones that are on both sides of the rear window.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on having the exhaust re routed when i can afford to do it. It defiantly is a must. How would I go about mounting speakers back their? Thanks

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I plan on having the exhaust re routed when i can afford to do it. It defiantly is a must. How would I go about mounting speakers back their? Thanks
I haven't done it.
I would take it to a shop that specializes in Custom radio set ups they could probably point you in the right direction..
Maybe someone here knows how to do it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
speakers

If i remember the cab in thoes years, there is not much room behind the seats. there is no side panels, just metal. am i right?. if that is correct, then the only place you have is the glove compartment for the amp and under the seat for the speakers. not much room either way you look at it. imho- just get a good set of 6X9's and find a place to put them. mabey if you put them in the trapezopd shaped boxes, they might fit behind the seat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts