Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1975 Ranchero GT 460
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 Ranchero had an attempted break-in before I purchased it. The steering column seems to be a bit "loose". I did some research looking for videos and repair instructions, however, I only found a video on the Mercury Cougar steering. Not much help.

Has anyone here rebuilt one of these? Is it fairly simple?
Thanks!

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
The columns do not necessarily need to be rebuilt.
Only when things break are repairs necessary.
You are not going to find much on the net regarding repairs or rebuilding because this is not a high wear assembly.

Generally loosness is cause in the cylinder lock set. Specifically the lock set to the steering collar.
You may need to replace the collar.
However diagnosis is necessary first before knowing what to do or what to replace. Mostly because there is a bearing up there and everal other parts. Being loose is kind of general and other parts can be worn.

You will need a steering wheel puller. This can be obtained on a free rent basis from a fast moving parts store. Or you can by a cheap one for $15 to $25. I would highly recommend getting a shop manual set. For that year and only 75-76 the shop manual set can be had as a single or two year set. The two year set as pictured is far more common. I have pictured a set from E-bay. Based on the auction the 5 volume set will sell for less than $50. A real good tool to have.

Action

World Textile Sleeve Font Tints and shades

Reactions: George C

·
Administrator
2006 Lincoln Navigator
15,799 Posts
Attached is an exploded view of a '75 F Series column. (Not finding one on the net for a car.) This likely came from the Master Parts Catalog.
The reason I am posting this is just to give you an idea of the number of parts involved.
To direct you in a specific part based on your description of loose would be a disservice to you.

I encourage you to dig into the column. Especially if you have never done this before.
It would be a good learning experience.
Take pictures - post to the thread.

I assume this is a hobby car and not a daily driver. Meaning the car can be disabled while you repair.
And if you do this, it would be an excellant opportunity to do a few other things.
Like clean out debris, lubricate certain items and treat plastic and rubber pieces.

Seems like certain cars the steering wheel and covers get rather beat up. In 75 Ford would have started using more and more plastic. Treating those pieces will extend the life. The - 3513 - part is rubber that is under the hood. It gets exposed to a lot of heat and flying debris. It does the job of blocking out air from the engine compartment to the passenger compartment. Treating that will keep your feet from getting hot or cold depending on ambient.

Action
Font Art Parallel Circle Handwriting

Reactions: George C

·
Registered
1975 Ranchero GT 460
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - that really helps. It is not a daily driver, yet. Good thing my commute is only two miles.

I was planning on picking up a manual for this thing. That looks it could work.
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts