Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, so I'm prepping the old girl for sheet metal work so that the shop doesn't bondo-castle the hell out of it. It appeared as if the strip around the doors and fender just pop off but I'm unfamiliar with the fasteners that are underneath! Given the age of my LTD (and knowing how costly some parts can be) I'm just looking for techniques and tools best suited for this.

Closest representation to my '78 Landau that I could find on the web...

alh3_googleusercontent_com_proxy_3LkJ69_vC5BS_k7VrbyNbXywvx2D_ba4099e6031bad74ccb47126eb19906a.jpg

I was able to get most of the door strip off but it looked as if the end (closest to the door latch) was on some kind of pin? I was nearly scraping the paint trying to get it off, so I just snapped it back in place for now. The other main concern was the rocker panel bright steel. Mine just needs some dents removed but it will also be impossible to properly repair my fenders if I can't remove them.

I'd seen folks online just use various tools (preferably of the non-scratching variant) to pry behind the paneling very gradually. I normally do a lot of research on the specific parts I'm about to work on and I was concerned about this trim since I couldn't find any info on the types of fasteners used. Any thoughts and info would be great!

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
The color keyed body side moldings have studs on each end that poke through the sheet metal with usually an acorn nut on the other side. Open the door and you will see the nuts. You will have to up through the bottom of the fenders to gain access to the frnder moldings. And open the trunk for access to the quarter panel. One the end nuts are off the remaining clips that hold the molding trim are pop off and pop on. You may need to get new clips after molding removal.

As far as the rocker panel, is you see no screw heads, it pops on and off. I would recommended a wide blade tool for that removal

>>>>>Action

Reactions: Davy Somers

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thankyou! I wouldn't have made the connection of checking for a nut on the inside panel. Glad I didn't put any more pressure on that trim section when I was attempting to remove it last time.

I have a '74 Ventura that has identical styled (albeit missing) rocker trim but I wasn't going to rule out the fasteners being the same. Good recommendation on replacing the clips though, as the side trim has that old crusty plastic (that I absolutely despise). Even if they hold up to the initial uninstall, I should probably save myself the headache and just get new ones as they were already coming apart.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
It is possible that 40+ year old plastic may have issues.
The body of the clip is rather thick. The thin edge holds the trim.

I have made it a habit of waxing under the trim before I reinstall. In your case you are painting. However after the paint I am still inclined to wait to install the trim for a few weeks. Then wax. In addition use a rubber/plastic/leather conditioner on the plastic clips. And that rubber body side trim in the metal trim. I would use the conditioner on that quarterly! That rubber is hanging out for the world to bang on it and the sun, water and weather to work it over. Not to bad for the color you have. And I had a '78 Granada with the same trim. (decades ago) The rubber trim insert was white. Jeesh it was a job keeping that clean on my DD when I lived in the mid-West

That is just a anal me making things last a little longer.

>>>>Action

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh that is interesting method. Yeah mine is that same paint scheme however I get the green interior with matching green exterior vinyl. So it's a good deal darker than what I have in the image there.

I was also worried about the shop painting over the clips and the lip/edge. I know people get picky about roof rails being painted on too thick and having problems reinstalling the trim. So that just kinda stuck out in my head.

·
Super Moderator
12,940 Posts
I would remove the clips. If the clips are like the one pictured they will be on pins welded into the body panel. Take the clips off for a number of reasons.
If you leave it on and they paint over it -
The clip may not hold the molding as well
The clip may be marginal and break apart after the molding is re-installed. Better to know now than later that the clip has served well and really needs retirement
If painted you may create a better place for moisture to gather
If painted there is now a bond between a fixed body panel and a moveable clip. If the clip moves it may take some paint with it that was attached to the body.
If the shop painting the car preps the metal, they may prep the clip with an abrasive. Abrateing the clip
The paint is designed to stick to metal not plastic exactly
And last but not least - that factory didn't paint the body with the clips on

You are going to make a significant investment in your ride. Skipping steps or cutting corners in the prep may not have the desired result later. And the later may be years from now.

If you are going to help the shop it is like getting pregnant. Either do it or don't. And bag and tag everything. With pictures. I would shoot pictures just before you take it to the shop. Especially if it is going to take a long time as they are doing this job to fill in between other jobs. I am a firm believer of Reagan's quote. Trust but verify! What if there was a fire or some other event? Insurance adjusters are not as generous if they do not know exactly when they are looking at. But the more likely reason would be excellent documentation of the story of the struggle. Everyone likes the story and you can create a photo alblum either physical or virtual of the story. If you ever sell that kind of story usually enhances the sale.

>>>>>>Action

clip.jpg

·
Registered
1978 LTD Landau
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I realize it’s not yours, but that is a beautiful automobile pictured.
I hope to get mine looking that nice again! Paint (I believe single stage?) is faded pretty badly, to the point of surface rust starting to dig through it. Definitely should start a project thread for the old girl once I get going on it again. Sucks when I got two other vehicles that need sheet metal work done. Because honestly I just wanna work on this one right now.

You are going to make a significant investment in your ride. Skipping steps or cutting corners in the prep may not have the desired result later. And the later may be years from now.
Oh man is that apparent whenever I dive into this kinda thing. I don't want a show car that I'll be afraid to drive but rather I wanna be proud of it and get'r to shine. I might be crazy to daily thing thing but I absolutely love the look and feel. My only real worry is some idiot passing a law saying these old rumblers aren't legal anymore. Otherwise with current (stock innards) she gets 13-14mpg if I lay off the power circuit, but I digress.

My big goal right now is rust repair. All three of my vehicles need some definite tlc but I'm dedicated on fixing it all myself. Starting to get good at forming my own panels since this thing has really no aftermarket. If I can keep'r off the salts and keep the metal looking healthy, (inside and out) I'll be set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts