Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to replace my solenoid. Its a 3 pole. I see that using a 4 pole is not a problem and to just leave the post vacant. My issue is I have located a female pin from the voltage regulator the same size as the male S and I posts. Could someone please let me know if I should hook this up to the solenoid and maybe why it was disregarded in the first place. All the schematics I looked at for 4 pole hookups shows I post going directly to ignition not through the voltage regulator.
Thank you

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Welcome to to the FFO!

I am unclear as to the solenoid you are writing about.
Is this the starter relay?

Attached is a starter relay for FLM vehicles with EECIV electronic engine controls.
Is this the subject of your post?

Action

Audio equipment Electronic instrument Gas Font Auto part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes thats the solenoid. Thanks for the welcome. Also working on a 77 F150 Explorer.

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
It is an electrical part so it is called a relay. (Electrical mechanical devices are called solenoids. A relay is only an electrical switch. Relays do not have any other function)
If you want to buy one, just search for your year and model and the words starter relay. It is a rather common part easily available.

Action

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is an electrical part so it is called a relay. (Electrical mechanical devices are called solenoids. A relay is only an electrical switch. Relays do not have any other function)
If you want to buy one, just search for your year and model and the words starter relay. It is a rather common part easily available.

Action
[/QUOTE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts