Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbe here. My has sat for awhile, I went to start it yesterday-cranks but No Start!
When I turn the key on, it sounds like I hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds.
1st thing I did was to pour some gas down the throttle body-it started-ran for 10-15 seconds.
2nd thing I did I to see if I had power yo the injectors-I do. I push the schrader valve, and I get just a small shot of fuel. Is that normal?
I did this because I notice the injectors are not firing.
What do I do next? Are the injectors bad? I

Thanks Jess

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Engine crank no start because lack of fuel.
The fuel injectors need something like 20 to 25 PSI at the low end to work. Ideal is going to be closer to 40 PSI
- possible issues
Fuel filter needs changing. If it has not been changed in a year or more change it anyway
Fuel pressure regulator is not closing. It is on the end of the fuel rail and closes with zero vacuum. Pull the vacuum line. If the engine starts replace the regulator.
Fuel pump is weak. It is working because you have some pressure. Just not enough.

A fuel pressure test gauge would be smart to have for this. You might be able to rent for free from a store like Auto Zone.

Action

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
This a CFI system?
Or port injected?

If this is a CFI system the pressure regulator is in the fuel charging assembly
Adjusted by an allen screw I think.
And the test port is right there as well
I am pretty sure there is a single in tank fuel pump

The above steps and data still apply to that system except CFI is configured a little different.
Replace the filter if that has not happened in a year or more. A sitting vehicle accumulates crap in the tank that usually drops to the bottom. The pump picks up from the bottom.
If the engine does not start a pressure test is needed. The above pressures are general enough to get the vehicle running. If low either the pump is weak or the regulator is not doing the job .

Action

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Action
It's not port injected. Sound advice, but I'm new to this car and do not know where the fuel charging assembly is or what it looks like. I'm not too good at electrical trouble shooting, I'll have to waite for my friend who is.
Thanks for your time and input.

·
Super Moderator
14,152 Posts
Fuel charging assembly
Looks like a carb and it is not!
Looks like a throttle body and it is not!
Sits on top of the intake manifold. It is controlled electronically by the processor. It is a cheap solution that is half way between a very cheap old school inaccurate carburetor and higher cost far more accurate port fuel injection.

Not labeled in the attached pic is the pressure test port. It is very close to the injector facing towards us. With a rectangle cap. This pic is from the left side.

The issue is not electrical if there is some fuel getting to the engine.

Operationally the twin injectors vary between spraying continously to spraying intermittently. (Where as port inject squirts into 1 cylinder for a specific measured amount just for that cylinder in that moment of time. The next time the port injector squirts may be totally different)

Really to test, one needs a fuel pressure tester.
Changing the fuel filter is not difficult. Should be done first as you want clean fuel getting to the engine for a vehicle that has sat for some time. Look at the old filter and what comes out. You are looking for rust and gunk. Gunk is a technical term. Don't worry about that! And you might shoot a pic of anything that comes out of the filter that is not fuel.

Action

0900c1528004e060.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts