Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we bought this thing a few months back. We’ve had zero problems out of it. Drive over 1000 miles and the suddenly it just won’t go. We sat for a few days camping and when we went to leave we topped off our gas and heading out. Within probably 5 mins the brakes we acting loose so we stopped and added some brake fluid just in case. Continodown the rd the van just won’t go. Like we can’t even go 25 mph. We have changed the fuel filter. Looked like it was stock lol we’ve changed it about 4 times now just to make sure there was nothing in tank. We’ve ran all that old gas out just to be sure there was nothing bad. We went to pull into our last site barely moving 25 mph and then the back brakes start smoking, they were locked up. Finally got them free and made it to campsite and removed the wheels to find the pads had fallen off and were completely worn out. Got them off and are waiting on our appt to get them done tomorrow. In the mean time we have changed the Map sensor because someone said that could be our problem. We also changed all the spark plugs and wire set, distributor cap and rotor. We’ve started it but haven't taken it for a drive yet. Any other suggestions? I’m so hoping it’ll get acceleration after this! Could the brakes be the whole reason though? Any advice is appreciated!!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Rear brakes on could have been the parking brake engaged.
And yes, if the rear brakes were "locked up" or at least partially engaged that is likely the whole problem.

When I first read what you wrote I was concerned about the transmission. Not so much now. And know that the transmission fluid and filter does need to be changed every 30,000 miles. (Same for coolant and repacking the front wheel bearings)

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The whole problem like it could be causing the no acceleration? Sorry I’m new and stressed. Currently stranded 1000 miles from home. What do I need to check?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
Breathe
YES messed up rear brakes will cause exactly what you have described. Get the rear brakes fixed. Pretty sure that is the whole problem.

But there are things you can do
Pull the transmission dip stick and smell the fluid. Does it smell burned?
If you can beg, borrow, or steal a vacuum gauge, fire up the engine. Let it warm up. With the engine idling in park and gauge attached, is the vacuum needle steady and over 18 inches hg?

You have just checked the general integrity of the engine and transmission with the steps above. If the first question is no and the second is yes you should be good to drive home.

All of this stuff - "Map sensor because someone said that could be our problem. We also changed all the spark plugs and wire set, distributor cap and rotor." was likley good. Save the parts. They will be good spares. But stop throwing parts at the problem as that gets expensive.
Then breathe

Action

Reactions: Hoch4

·
Registered
7 Posts
So we bought this thing a few months back. We’ve had zero problems out of it. Drive over 1000 miles and the suddenly it just won’t go. We sat for a few days camping and when we went to leave we topped off our gas and heading out. Within probably 5 mins the brakes we acting loose so we stopped and added some brake fluid just in case. Continodown the rd the van just won’t go. Like we can’t even go 25 mph. We have changed the fuel filter. Looked like it was stock lol we’ve changed it about 4 times now just to make sure there was nothing in tank. We’ve ran all that old gas out just to be sure there was nothing bad. We went to pull into our last site barely moving 25 mph and then the back brakes start smoking, they were locked up. Finally got them free and made it to campsite and removed the wheels to find the pads had fallen off and were completely worn out. Got them off and are waiting on our appt to get them done tomorrow. In the mean time we have changed the Map sensor because someone said that could be our problem. We also changed all the spark plugs and wire set, distributor cap and rotor. We’ve started it but haven't taken it for a drive yet. Any other suggestions? I’m so hoping it’ll get acceleration after this! Could the brakes be the whole reason though? Any advice is appreciated!!
I own a 1988 E350 7.5. I have invested several $$ since I bought the van so I know mine inside and out. My question is whether or not it’s a problem with the engine quitting or is the engine running fine but it’s just not engaging the transmissio?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
Kim Burch, is this about HOCH4's vehicle or yours?

Action

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own a 1988 E350 7.5. I have invested several $$ since I bought the van so I know mine inside and out. My question is whether or not it’s a problem with the engine quitting or is the engine running fine but it’s just not engaging the transmissio?

Action

Action
This was a question for HOCH4.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts