Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
This is the first Ford I've ever owned, but hey I got it at the right price lol. The guy I bought it from said he replaced the motor with one from a Bronco II w/ 120,000 miles on it. It was running great for a while and I had no problems. Then one day when I was exiting the highway it just stalled out on me. I was able to limp home in 1st gear, it would go a few hundred feet then stall, and it's been sitting ever since. The motor runs great, but when I ease off of the clutch it just shutters and dies on me, even when it is out of gear. If I release the clutch in neutral it stalls... I can't make sense of it, if it stalls doesn't that mean the clutch is still good? Could it be a hydraulic cylinder? I don't have a clue. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't check that out b/c I had no one to help me. I can tell you that when I was driving it, it would make a faint grinding noise in 5th gear. Pressure plate? I can still use 1st gear, it's just when I shift into 2nd it stalls out. The clutch doesn't grab until the pedal is almost all the way out and then it stalls. Reverse works too... I can't figure it out.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Check your fluid level in the trans, if left for too long, the level drops enough that it can't cool and will just cook away to nothing and cook everything in the trans. Check your rear brakes, too, sounds like something's hanging up in there somewhere. Also check your air filter, I had one that wouldn't climb the driveway, the air filter was clogged with oil blowby from the crankcase. Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The trans is shot, it's locked up. Time for a new one... anyone have one cheap in NE PA lol? Should be the M5OD-R1 correct? It's 4WD so is it the M5OD-R2? I really have no idea about Fords lol. Also could it just be a shifter problem, it seems like it can't find the gear, like it's stuck between 2 gears. You can move the stick up and down but side to side not so much, it takes a while just to get into reverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts