Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an open 9" rear and I cant stand the peg leg burnout. What options do I have? I was looking at tracklocks. I don't want to spend too much seeing as I don't get to the track that often.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I thought "tracklock" was the other name for limited slip. in my 67 i have limited slip. on my 63 i have a detroit locker. the LS works great for street. The DL is great on street too but you feel the detroit locker engage and disengage when you are turning slow.

Of course you could always weld the spider gears:crazy:
I wouldnt recomment that to anyone!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
534 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but I dont know how it works or if you would need more parts. I would just do a limited slip rear end. mine is comfortable, great on tire wear, and fairly cheap

·
Registered
210 Posts
The early version was equalock, then came the tracklock. I just finished building a tracklock. You've got to figure that most used pieces are used, the one I bought was destroyed inside but thankfully the spool part was okay. You can buy the tracklock spool new on ebay for $325 and then you'll need the 1 1/4 bolts and special washers to hold your ring gear. The used stuff goes for around $150 and a rebuild kit is the same so $325 for a new piece is a good value. The other part that you'll need will be the two carrier bearings. Then your tires will both wear out, yeahhh...
LR

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm really not familiar with rear ends, on cars, but my new friend at Global Transmissions suggested a limited slip. He puts it around $1200, they wont use or install junk so this is for a strong set up. The only thing I know about LS is that it's a clutch unit. I'm not really in a rush, It barely breaks that one side loose now since I put the new Nitto NT05R's on the back.

·
Registered
534 Posts
i agree, the only thing you would worry about is the clutches are the first thing to go. but thats no big deal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
also looking to swap out the tall 3.00 with 3.73, nothing too drastic

·
Registered
210 Posts
Limited slip is another term for the, Track lock, Equalock etc. Currie enterprises sell units too if you're going to buy a third member and just swap it out.

3.70 is about 19% lower than your 3.00, that's quite a bit. I just put 3.25's in mine and I wouldn't want to go lower but I am running a 235/60r/14 tire so you do have more tire height. I think you'd be more than happy with a 3.50 gear.

LR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts