Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, looking under the hood of my mother in law's 92 Grand Marquis, does anybody know where the idle air controller is? Is it just in from the air filter? I looked up the part and it looked just like the one on my Escape, but what I'm looking at on her car is a different shape, mainly square.

Her car stalled a few times yesterday sitting at stoplights. I went over and sprayed carb cleaner in everything that I could last night. We let it run a while and once it warmed up the idle (with the AC off) would fluctuate between too high and too low. Most of the time it was just right, but then it would go low for a few minutes and either stall or almost stall, then a minute later recover and over correct and take a few minutes to come back down to just right. Sure sounds like the IAC right?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Sure does. The IAC on your engine will be on the back side of the throttle body, mid engine area. It has a large hose on one end of it. The IAC will always be right at or very close to the throttle plate because it's job is to let air go around the plate for the proper idle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you might want to check the vacuum line from the PCV valve to the intake. There's a rubber elbow or two that tend to disintigrate and create vacuum leaks which may or may not be intermittent.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts