Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the forums as well as to own a ford vehicle. My background is in motorcycles and I am pretty capable of working on small engines, but these large vehicles are a bit intimidating. I am a current college student and I picked up a relatively cheap '93 E-350 club wagon to drive and hall my motorcycles. For whatever reason, when I bought the vehicle I never noticed the ticking noise. This is because it isn't constant. Upon starting the van, it idles just fine and drives with no issues. After about 1-2 minutes a loud ticking noise kicks in (passenger side engine). this noise will continue to persist until I turn off the van. After turning the van back on, the noise disappears until 1-2 minutes pass again. Basically, this ticking noise only appears 1-2 minutes after start-up and continues to remain until the van is turned back off and started up again. Some other information that might be worth knowing is that the Van's A/C does not work (not sure what the issue is yet) and there is a check engine light that comes and goes with no direct cause. Thanks for your time, and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

Other pirces of data that would help
How many miles?
Which engine?

Not knowing the engine, what I do know is it is not a modular engine. Those are noisy engines to start with and have some other "ticking" type of noises.

In general, the ticking could be lifter. Due to wear, low oil pressure or wrong weight engine oil.
Used 1 ton Ford wagons usually are either used hard or hardly used.
Post back with the answers for the above questions.

As to the check engine light, there is an intermittent issue that trips the light some times. Pull codes and post that.
If you do not have a code reader, a fast moving parts store (Auto Zone, OReillys or ...) will do that for you for free.

Action

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! It has the 5.8 V8 Engine with 115,000 miles. A friend of mine also suggested it was a lifter (which could be the case) but the noise always disappears after start-up and cuts back on a couple of minutes later. I have attached a video of the issue here. I don't know much about cars, but I would assume a noisy lifter would always make noise when the engine is running? As to the oil, it's definitely filled properly, but I am not sure what oil is in it. Also, I will try and run the codes whenever I get the chance, but I am struggling to locate the OBD1 port as the previous owner messed with the wiring pretty hard.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,845 Posts
The issue is either a hydraulic or mechanical. The OBD1 or electronic engine controls do not control hydraulics.
No codes would be present.
There are electronics that click a lot. It is normal. The EEC IV test will come back as good.

If the oil is too thin or the pump is excessively worn or other engine wear that can be an issue. Lifter noise would be heard and then go away if the issue is not severe. For a worn oil pump the time the lifter noise will be heard is low RPM or idle speed when the engine is warmed up or hot.

Action

1 - 5 of 5 Posts