Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 ford Taurus gl 3.0. could you tell me if it has a crank positioning sensor, or not, remember its like the old stile engines it has a distributor, distributor cap, and six wires going to each plugs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i took the electronic ignition modual to autozone and they checked it and said it was good. the guy at autozone told me it was CKP. but i can not find one on my car.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if i let it sit for a while and give it a jump (cause the battery is low from trying to start to much) it starts and runs until i close the hood it dies. then same thing no fire. any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
If you have a distributor it is unlikely that you have a CKP. THe PIP signal is generated UNDER the cap in the hall effect sensor.

DO you ahve 12 volts to the bat side of the coil when you turn the key to ON/Run ?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I don't have documentation to a '95 but for a '96 power to the bat side of the coil comes from the ignition switch through a fuse to the coil.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all i have is a muti test light. but when i hook it to the bat side of the coil it light up red, when i turn the key to the on position. it lights red, and if itake the coil wire off the distrutor and pock the tester down in there while my wife turn it over the light is red but iam not getting fire jumping from it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just tried it on the number 2 plug wire pock down in there, while my wife turned it over no fire jumping and no red light.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I am sorry, I don't know what equipment you are using nor what a red light lit means.

I have a test light for testing my Christmas lights, Red means no connection, green means things are ok.

I also have a test light. Ground one end and probe with the other. If it lights, I have current.

What does it mean when your test light lights RED?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
iam sorry Poppy, red means positive feed green means negative feed. according the package it came with.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
My test light cost $1.00 from the dollar store.

So when you turn the key on, and use your test light you get a Red light at the Bat (+) terminal at the coil?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
I just noticed this...
if i let it sit for a while and give it a jump (cause the battery is low from trying to start to much) it starts and runs until i close the hood it dies
We are going down the wrong path.

IT seems to me that you have a dead battery, and that your alternator is not charging.

more info in a minute

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You can pick up a digital voltmeter for about $10

Using a digital voltmeter, simply check across the battery terminals.
You should get 12.66 volts.
Next turn your headlights on for ten seconds and check again.
This dissapates any "surface charge"
It should still be in good shape.

Courtesy Mark v
Battery Charge Table
12.6V or higher: 100% charge
12.4V - 12.6V: 75-100%
12.2V - 12.4V: 50-75%
12.0V - 12.2V: 25-50%
11.7V - 12.0V: 0-25%
11.7V or less: 0% (and probably not capable of being recharged)

If it needs to be charged, charge it up overnight, and check it in the morning, as above.

IF it is dead in the morning you need to rule out if there is something draining the battery or if the battery just doesn't hold a charge anymore, and needs to be replaced. To test the battery, disconnect it, charge it up and let it sit overnight, then recheck the voltage. It should stay at the 12.66 overnight.

IF your battery is good then test your alternator by testing accross the battery terminals with the engine running . You should have 14.4 volts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ok i will buy one tomorrow, but i know its not the battery because i charged it last night. and after turning it over and over i eventually killed it thats why i had to jump it. but it just strange to me that it starts sometimes and runs perfect until i close the hood. i even tried the last time i had it running, slamming the hood closed three times and it would act like it was going to die but would stay running. but when i thought it was fixed i closed the hood again and it died. and thats where iam at now. but you are right i should have a digital voltmeter, to be checking it right.

1 - 20 of 187 Posts