Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 with 105k on it, has some trans problems. shifts hard off the line from 1st to 2nd if you dont peddle it. also highway rpms are a little higher than 3 years ago when i got the car. when i got it handed down at about 85k it would do [email protected] 2000rpms no big deal. now at 65 it does 2000, and at 70 about 2100-2200. this is effecting my fuel mileage, on a 90 mile trip, 95% being at highway speeds, and it takes somewhere between 6-7 gallons doing 70

·
Registered
798 Posts
Sounds like the torque converter isn't locking-up. It drops your rpm around 3-400 when it locks.
Have you have it scanned for codes?...even if the CEL is not on, there could be some stored in memory.

The cheapest/easiest thing you can do is do a fluid/filter change.

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in regards to the lock up, i believe it does lock up at about 40 mph and goes from 2000 down to about 1100 rpm, or is that not have anything to do with lockup? could lack of fluid in the TC be causing a problem? also im pretty sure the trans fluid has never been changed and it does leak a little bit. also is a trans flush required?

·
Registered
798 Posts
2000 drop to 1100 rpm is more like a gear change rather than the TC locking.
Do not have it flushed unless they remove the pan and change the filter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ive had the trans flushed, still same problem. condish has gotten worse. i drive it everyday to school (2 miles one way) up a steep hill. usually make 2-3 trips each day. i try to get to about 25 before the bottom of the hill and sometimes it will have no response from 2200-3000, and once it gets over 3k it will jerk and start to accelerate. some days it will hold 1100 rpm up the hill and not have to shift down. recently this week my OD light has started blinking, i will be going up the hill, it will start to slip a little, then there is a slight rpm change +/- 100, then the light start blinking, and OD will not work for the rest of the drive. it is fairly cold where i am now, its ranged from -5 to 10F..

im checked and pretty sure my 95 has obdII, so i will use the scan tool we have at school tomorrow to see what codes it shoots

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
it actually has obd II, so pulled codes off, both banks are running lean. then it shot this code p0733, which is incorrect 3rd gear ratio..

DTC P0733

and the last is p1405, DPFE Upstream Hose Off

1 - 7 of 7 Posts