Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the struts on a 96 Windstar after a spring broke on one side (fortunately, the vehicle was parked; unfortunately, I only discovered it after the spring punctured the tire while trying to backup).

I'm looking for advice on where to find replacements for the suspension bolts that the repair manual says not to reuse:

* Lower arm ball joint pinch bolt and nut
* Strut-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt

I understand some people feel its safe to reuse these bolts despite the warning, so I also attached photos so you can take a look and say if you would reuse them given their condition. The larger strut bolts, in particular, seem to have their diameter reduced a bit in the center. All the bolts have some rust in the threads, but this could likely be wire brushed out I suspect.

bolts1.jpg
bolts2.jpg

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
As Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) said, "Do ya feel lucky?"

Replace them. Hardware store (Home Depot/Lowes/ACE) will supply you with grade 8 bolts of the proper size and thread to finish your project. Those nuts are crimped or swaged no so as not to back off. EZ for the factory to do. For you and me use a lock washer with a new nut.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts
As a post script, the spring did not break because it was healthy. Those bolts are operating in the same environment as the spring.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action

·
Super Moderator
289 Posts
Ubless I'm missing something, Usually the new shocks/struts will come with the replacement hardware needed to do the job. Those lock nuts are one time use, if you really wanted to reuse them, at the very least put blue loctite on the threads.

But I'd also recommend replacing the hardware as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The struts included the mounting nuts for the top, but not the strut pinch bot. I tried Pep Boys and Ace Hardware so far, but they didn't have anything suitable.

I went to a local Fastenal store and they had an M12-1.75 (the smaller bolt) in grade 8.8 (original is 9.8) but without the collar that has some splines (not sure if that is critical or not) - replacement candidate was ~5mm shorter too. The larger bolt is M14-1.75 (9.8) and they didn't have a match in stock.

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was able to locate the Ford part numbers for the nuts and bolts via diagrams on fordparts.com.

Strut to steering knuckle pinch bolt: N803989S160
Lower ball joint to steering knuckle pinch bolt: N804021S160
And nut for the latter bolt: N803985S160

Googling for those part numbers brought me to greensalescompany.com, a dealer for obsolete Ford parts. I was able to get the 6 pieces I needed for $9.50 + $6 shipping. Hope that helps anyone who has a similar need!

Thanks to action and Flyingjackal456 for the replies!

IMG_0003.JPG

·
Super Moderator
13,295 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm replacing the struts on a 96 Windstar after a spring broke on one side (fortunately, the vehicle was parked; unfortunately, I only discovered it after the spring punctured the tire while trying to backup).

I'm looking for advice on where to find replacements for the suspension bolts that the repair manual says not to reuse:

• Lower arm ball joint pinch bolt and nut
  • Strut-to-front wheel knuckle pinch bolt
I understand some people feel its safe to reuse these bolts despite the warning, so I also attached photos so you can take a look and say if you would reuse them given their condition. The larger strut bolts, in particular, seem to have their diameter reduced a bit in the center. All the bolts have some rust in the threads, but this could likely be wire brushed out I suspect.

View attachment 8488
View attachment 8489
Awesome!!!! Here is another link for NOS stuff http://www.rearcounter.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Ford has the tru
Awesome!!!! Here is another link for NOS stuff http://www.rearcounter.com/

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Ford has the strut to steering knuckle pinch bolt and the lower ball joint pinch bolt for a few dollars. Well worth the security of hardened hardware.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts