Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My airbag light in my 97 tracer blinks on and off every once in awhile. It doesn't blink everytime I drive the car, just randomly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Texan Ford,

A flashing airbag light, even intermittently, usually means a few things and is something that should NOT be ignored. There is the possibility that your battery may be going.

This is the Forums “How To” on the subject.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/electrical-lighting/111-howto-check-your-battery.html

Secondly check your fuses and grounds. Fuse 1 in the Battery Junction Box, Ground G200 and the Crash Sensor grounds. The crash sensors are in the front of the vehicle, near the Rad support, if I recall correctly. I have attached the SRS wiring diagram for your reference.

This is the Forums “How To” on the subject.

http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/electrical-lighting/128-howto-check-your-fuses.html

There is also a Recall 02S44 on your vehicle for the Integrated Airbag Monitor, I have attached it for your reference.

There is a possibility that there is an actual problem with the airbag system. The problem could be an issue with the seatbelt pretensioners or the crash sensors or the connectors or wiring to either components.

Below is a list of airbag codes, which will flash on the warning light. (The light will flash once, pause and then flash twice =12.)

12=Low Battery Voltage

13=Airbag Circuit Shorted to Ground
14=Primary Crash Sensor Circuit Shorted to Ground

21=Safing Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

22=Safing Sensor Output Shorted to Battery Voltage

23=Safing Sensor Circuit Input Feed/Return Circuit Open

24=Safing Sensor Output Feed/Return Circuit Open

32=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

33=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit High Resistance or Open

34=Driver Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted

35=Passenger Side Air Bag Circuit Low Resistance or Shorted

41=RH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open

42=LH Primary Crash Sensor Feed/Return Circuit Open

44=RH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

45=LH Primary Crash Sensor Not Mounted to Vehicle Properly

51=Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

52=Backup Power SupplyVoltage Boost Fault

53=Primary Crash Sensor Circuits Resistance to Ground or Air Bag Diagnostic Fault

I personally DO NOT like working on crash sensors, I would recommend taking your vehicle to the Dealership or a good Garage to be scanned and for any necessary repairs. That being said, if you prefer to do this yourself, I must CAUTION you:

MAKE SURE THAT YOU DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE FOR AT LEAST 30 MINUTES BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY WORK ON THE AIRBAG SYSTEM OR RELATED COMPONENTS.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
944 Posts
I believe you will find the Airbag Monitor located under the dash, mounted "on the hump", which is directly below the HVAC box. A leaking heater will drip coolant directly on this monitor, which is the subject of the above mentioned recall.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i have been wondering about this for a while too, as ashley's sister's car has been doing it for quite some time now, but i already deployed the airbag... (the computer still doesn't know it)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
me or tex?

·
Registered
623 Posts
There used to be a tsb or recal where they put a plastic shiels over the rcm and dielctric grease in the connectors.Time is kinda tight at the moment I can not verify.It was due to moisture contamination.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you checked the clock spring and wiring under the steering wheel?
I cracked the clockspring awhile back when I swapped in a leather wrapped steering wheel but it just now started blinking long after I swapped steering wheels. Maybe the computer has just now found the problem?

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
There used to be a tsb or recal where they put a plastic shiels over the rcm and dielctric grease in the connectors.Time is kinda tight at the moment I can not verify.It was due to moisture contamination.
I just checked there was one like you said.
But couldn't get a copy of it.
It was aTSB #981520

1 - 13 of 13 Posts