Ford Automobiles banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so my ABS light has been coming off and on, and I've got the following codes:

C1175: LR Speed Sensor Input Ckt Failure

and

C1143: Wheel Spd Sen LR Tone Ring Tooth Missing Fault

I'm pretty sure 1175 means I need a new sensor and that 1143 means new sensor ring, however, I can find anywhere that carries the sensor ring. Is this not a replaceable part, or is it part of some other part that has to be replace. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Try the sensor first, it may fix it.
Have you looked at it yet? I've seen a build up of metal shaving (brakes) accumulate on the sensor. Blowing it clean fixed it.
Also seen a couple rings come loose, a few tack welds fixed it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. I had the sensors out a while ago and cleaned them all. At 130K I'm not surprised to have to be replacing a sensor.

I'll start with the sensor, can't believe the buggers are $78, hopefully I'll get lucky and that'll take care of both codes!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Those ABS sensors can get pretty spendy. :( Pretty sure the sensor is causing both codes. Try cleaning the connection on the sensor too or get it on an ABS scanner....sorry not sure what your Windy needs to retrieve the codes.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
If you have a scanner that has an enhanced codes feature you should be able to monitor wheel speed sensors at each corner.Check the tone rings or cracks.If it's cracked,it could be moving around the sensor giving false sensor codes.You should be able to clean it and epoxy it back in place if you don't have access to a welder.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got an Actron cp9449, not sure if it can do the enhanced stuff, just got it today and pulled the codes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think all the connections are good since it wasn't long ago I had all the sensors disconnected to clean, check connections etc when to try to get the light off. But I will definitely start there again.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was able to get the LR sensor replaced today.

Think it was time
ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_ABS_20Sensor_P4240209.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_ABS_20Sensor_P4240210.jpg

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_ABS_20Sensor_P4240211.jpg

Tone ring appeared to be real good, no marks not loose.

ai269.photobucket.com_albums_jj50_dtacker17_Windstar_ABS_20Sensor_th_P4240214.jpg

I cleared the codes, took her for a drive, everything felt good and no codes, but I'm not sure how long it takes the ABS module to throw codes again after you clear them. Hopefully no more light!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I guess one could consider that bad.:yesnod:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Mine looked just like that when it was bad. It read correctly but was so wore out it could not react with the tone ring so it threw a code.
Yeah I pulled the drum off the pass. side also and the sensor looked a lot closer to the tone ring that this one did! Just hoping this is it for awhile!

Kinda sucked buying the ABS code reader but my mechanic was going to charge $100, Sears had them on sale for $100, so I figured might as well buy it. At least now if another goes, I can find out right away and the scanner will have paid for itself.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Thank you for this part number. I was just at a parts store that sold Actron and asked if they sold an ABS scanner yet and they said NO!

I am glad I can now buy one. Thank you thank you!

I've got an Actron cp9449, not sure if it can do the enhanced stuff, just got it today and pulled the codes.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think all the connections are good since it wasn't long ago I had all the sensors disconnected to clean, check connections etc when to try to get the light off. But I will definitely start there again.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
NP, check Sears, they have them on sale for $99 (normally 189) right now (thru 5/1).

If you want to check it out before you buy I'll be in Milwaukee may 20-23 for CEGs annual Spring Zing.

Thank you for this part number. I was just at a parts store that sold Actron and asked if they sold an ABS scanner yet and they said NO!

I am glad I can now buy one. Thank you thank you!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
CEG = Contour Enthusiasts Group (see sig), it's the annual national gathering, we have people come in from East\West Coasts, FL, Canada, good time. Normally have a track day (Gingerman last year), dyno, Show and Shine, banquet.

Here's the link for this year's itinerary, feel free to come out to the S&S if you want, we have some pretty nice cars show up. One guy last year was putting 322 whp, in a CONTOUR!

Then basically at night it's hanging out in the hotel parking lot. bs'ing

SZ2010 Itinerary

$99 bucks and I will pick one up! Thank you again!

What is CEGs annual Spring Zing?

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Great Lakes Dragaway..... Hmmmmm...... Maybe I will bring the Vette down. I couldnt believe you cant get a discount for your club coming to the track, normally they will do this for $25.00 I think.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great Lakes Dragaway..... Hmmmmm...... Maybe I will bring the Vette down. I couldnt believe you cant get a discount for your club coming to the track, normally they will do this for $25.00 I think.
Yeah, it sounds the organizers are still working with them a bit, since that night is bike night, they are still working the details so we can run if we want. Come out anytime, like I said we spend a lot of time in the parking lot of the hotel!

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it's been a few weeks and miles. No ABS light. LR sensor corrected the problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.