Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Any one have any Instructions, Pictures, Diagrams etc for the evap can mounted under the trunk for the 98 cv police model? From what i can tell the 98's are just a bit different than other years. I just got an evap can/assembly from a salvage yard (my used CVPI didn't come with one) I installed it and i still have my CEL on. The CEL was not on before i installed it because of some re wiring that had to be fixed and now is.
You can see my other thread
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/forum/electrical-lighting/2532-98-crown-victoria-p71-where-does-fuel-pump-relay-get-power.html
For that.
Anyway i could use some pointers on how to check it to see if the used can is hooked up/working properly or not.

Thanks in advance, Robert44

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Robert,

Are you still getting codes P0453 and P1451?

See if any of this helps.

Fuel Vapor Canister Venting System
awww.crownvic.net_ubbthreads_user_uploads_566664_SWA_7Eus_7Een_7Efile_3DAV0875A.gif_7Egen_7Eref.gif

Item Part Number Description

1 9C915 Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve
2 9F980 Evaporative Emission Test Port
3 9C052 Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor
4 9C047 Fuel Vapor Control Valve Tube Assembly
5 9002 Fuel Tank
6 9D653 Evaporative Emission Canister
7 9F945 Canister Vent Solenoid

See the 10th and 11th pictures at the link below for the Evap Emission Canister.

Ford Crown Victoria Undercar Picture Scrapbook

Not to Jinx ya there Robert...BUT, I hope for your sanity it doesn't come down to more Wiring Gremlins... :yikes:

Hope this helps.

Attachments

Reactions: Robert44

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW! Thanks for all that info! I have some reading to do now :) I already had the scrapbook link bookmarked, It does come in handy. I don't know if the codes are still the same as the other day. The CEL is still on though. I never did a re-set. ( I do re-sets by disconnecting battery for 20-30 min) After all the other work to the car, I just hooked up the evap can and took a quick test drive. Car runs good actually seems to run better/smoother than before. I think that's partially due to install of new plugs too. (Did i mention I installed new plugs too? Yes gaped to .52)
Anyway at least i know i have power at the red wire for the evap under the trunk. I have not had a chance to check the entire hose that goes up front for leaks, It looks good up to the T thats splits off and goes to the tank. I think i will pull the neg terminal and do a re-set before it gets dark tonight and then see what happens after that. It's just a short 3-4 miles to the parts store but i have to go that way in the morning anyhow, So if the CEL comes back on (something tells me it will) I will stop in and ask them to read the codes again. OK well just ran out and pulled the NEG terminal. I will post back In about 30 min if the CEL came back on right away.
Also my next project is to replace the intake manifold In the next week or so. I have a tiny hair line crack about 1/2 in by the temp sensor next to #1 cyl I have a ton of info on it sofar but my question is how good are the new Dorman intake's? any experience with them? Oops prob should have that in another thread.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well after the re-set I started the car and run for about 10 min with no CEL:smilewinkgrin: then i shut it off and started it back up and there pops on the CEL again almost instantly:frown2:, Shut it off and start again a few min later and the CEL still on. I will have the codes checked in the morning.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Managed to get the codes today.
[FONT=&quot]0453 [/FONT]Evaporative Emission Control System Pressure Sensor High Input
[FONT=&quot] 0401 [/FONT]Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected
[FONT=&quot] 0301 Cycl #1 Misfire
0307[/FONT] Cycl #7 Misfire

At least i lost the P1451 code.. (just trying to look at the bright side)
I know the plug boot for Cycl #7 had 2 small cracks on the bottom of it when i changed the plugs the other day. and Cycl #1 injector gets some puddling of antifreeze every now and then from the hair crack in the Intake manifold but had been dry for 2 days now. Seems funny though I never had the CEL come on before.

So far i have found the attached PDF's
Is there a manual way to pull codes for my car?

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts