Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Recently I undertook the project of replacing my intake manifold gaskets, which were leaking vacuum and coolant. All has gone relatively well, the upper and lower manifolds have been removed successfully and I am in the process of cleaning them. Unfortunately, I found that one of the intakes below the lower manifold is partially deteriorated as pictured below. What, if anything, can I do about this?

·
Super Moderator
15,072 Posts
Welcome to the FFO!

The 4.2l V6 had some issues with that lower intake manifold. It had a bad habit of cracking. The resolution was a thicker gasket. Do check your manifold to make sure there are no cracks.

The surface you loaded a picture should be cleaned. It may be possible to fill in that area that has eroded with something like JB weld and then filing down the repaired area. That joint would have to stand up to 20 or 30 PSI. Other wise as suggested above the cylinder head would have to be replaced.

Btw the damaged shown is because of lack of maintenance (coolant changes) or using the wrong coolant type.

Action

1 - 4 of 4 Posts