Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 F-150 with 82000 original Km on it. It runs perfectly and the mileage has never moved but I am starting to worry about changing the plugs. Anyone have any pre-cautions before attempting to spin them out?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Engine size?
Normal plug replacement is around 100K miles but since it's running OK maybe you should hold off for a while. You could remove one plug a mesasure the gap. Compare it to the info listed under the hood on the lable.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, it's a 4.6L. I am more worried about them freezing in there and breaking them off when I go to replace them. I have heard about the problems of doing them late.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking about soaking them overnight with CRC. Hoping to get some other ideas or input.

·
Registered
623 Posts
4.6 do not break plugs only the 5.4 3valve. Have a bunch of extensions and a universal joint. 98 has plug wires correct ? oh and please use motorcraft plugs ok ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4.6 do not break plugs only the 5.4 3valve. Have a bunch of extensions and a universal joint. 98 has plug wires correct ? oh and please use motorcraft plugs ok ?
It does have plug wires. I have heard of them freezing in there because of the dissimilar metals. I am happy to hear different. I had a set of Autolite Platinums given to me but I was going to buy some Motocraft Platinums anyways.

·
Registered
623 Posts
It never hurts to spray them down,I have never broke one(knock on wood). You may consider changing the plug wires at the same time and use dielectric grease.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks phantom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
x2. Just don't leverage against the plugs. Support the wrench at the ratchet, using that as the leverage point.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Engine size?
Normal plug replacement is around 100K miles but since it's running OK maybe you should hold off for a while. You could remove one plug a mesasure the gap. Compare it to the info listed under the hood on the lable.
Only for double plats!

·
Registered
67 Posts
When you install the new plugs, be sure to put some anti-seize on the threads. Also, start the threads very carefully by hand, then use the ratchet. You don't want to cross thread them! And yes, use dieletric grease on the new plug wires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts