Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I have a factory ford stereo from a 98 explorer that was wrecked and I pulled the stereo from it in hopes of salvaging something from the car. I now have an older Toyota that has no stereo. I've tried installing the ford stereo into the Toyota. I know I have the wiring right and the stereo turns on and plays CD's, and picks up radio stations. It just doesn't play anything out of the speakers. I figured this might have been because it needed an amp to boost the signal, so I hooked up a amp I had that should definitely put out enough juice. When I did this I could tell it was playing something but I had to turn it on full blast and it was almost complete static. The only other thing I can think of is that ford may have them set to receive a signal from the care to play so people don't steal them and put them into other cars. I know that my car had to have a little chip in the key for the car to start due to the fact that I lost that chip out of one of my keys and it would no longer start the car. So do the stereos have a feature like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
The 98 doesn't get a signal from the vehicle. Which head unit is it? Does it have an RDS button? Is it a Mach unit(uses a sub woofer) or a premium? I'll attach a wiring schematic from the premium system and maybe that will help you.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is no RDS button. I was using it in my XLT Explorer, but I had actually pulled the stereo from a pick and pull place. I had the stereo in my explorer for about 3-4 years and it worked fine. The unit is the CD/Tape player. I attached a pic of the actual unit. I've just been using the front speakers. I'm not sure what all the wires are used for.(Protocol A/B, Audio System On) I've used the Top right 1-16 which seems to be what I need to use the radio. I'm just lost as to why it isn't putting any significant juice to the speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
The above schematic is correct for that unit. Just use the 16 pin connector portion at the radio. Ignore the rear control panel and all other connectors. If the wiring to speakers is correct and power,ignition and ground are all correct it will work, if not damaged. Also the speaker wires must never be grounded. Protocal wires are for cd/aux controls.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts