Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 P71 radiator fan runs for a second then stops.
I first noticed this after my A/C started blowing warm air the other day.
Upon checking freon I noticed that the fan was not running.
When I turn on the A/C the fan will kick on for like 1 second and stop.
I have checked all the fuzes and the high and low speed relays and all check out OK, I checked the pig tail to the fan and nothing looks melted or anything.
I also Put direct power to the fan from the battery through the pig tail and both fan speeds work fine.
**2 days ago I turned on The A/C and everything seemed to work OK drove to work fine but fan stopped working again on the trip back. Lucky for me i live in the country, only 1 stop sign and 2 lights between here and work. If i keep the car moving it wont overheat.
Also fan does the same thing (without A/C running) just idling when it warms up fan comes on for just a sec and stops.
** Also there seems to be a big 1 second or so power surge around the same time when the fan tries to kick in (lights will dim and such)
When i say 1 second i mean like saying 1/1000
Sorry for the run on just trying to post as much info as i can:)

Any suggestions of what to test/check next would be much appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
You'll have to check, but I *THINK* that you have a circuit breaker type fuse for the fans. It might be that the fuse is tripping and resetting. You might check to see if the fans spin freely. You might check how many amps they are pulling, and if within normal range, swap out the fuse.

Reactions: Robert44

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You'll have to check, but I *THINK* that you have a circuit breaker type fuse for the fans. It might be that the fuse is tripping and resetting. You might check to see if the fans spin freely. You might check how many amps they are pulling, and if within normal range, swap out the fuse.

Hi Poppy,
Its been a long time Long time.
Thanks for your reply.
I had some time to work on this again today, what i found is that the blue wire(low speed) seems to have a short somewhere between the CB and the fan. I disconnected the blue wire from the pigtail and the fan started working (high speed only) with the A/C on and cycled along with the compressor.
At the same time the relay and the CB for the low speed fan got hot even with it disconnected from the fan itself.
I'm thinking this maybe another frayed wire behind and below the passenger headlight? this would be the 3rd circuit that would have a problem in that area. I'm not sure yet though. I ran out of daylight, i will have to get back into this in the morning.
I will post back with my findings or lack there of.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Hi Robert. Happy short hunting :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fixed the problem!:)
It was right where i thought in my last post. :eek:
The blue wire that goes between the the fan and the (engine compartment)fuse box was worn thin behind and under the passenger headlight assembly, behind the bumper.
Right in this spot the wiring harness makes an almost 90 degree turn and there is a metal piece it goes around that rubs against the wires.
so far I've had to replace sections of the yellow/black stripe and the brown wires in the same area. this time it was the blue wire for the fan. everything is back to normal working condition now. and $0.00 spent, well i already had wire and such to make the repair.
I wrapped all the wires up with a few layers of electrical tape to help keep this from happening again and as soon as i get the chance I'm going to get some 3/4 inch flexible conduit and wrap the wires in it, that should keep it from rubbing.

**tried to upload a couple Pictures but 2 Mb seems to be too large:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts