Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Ranger. the clutch in the air conditioning isn't engaging at all plus I get cold air for about 15 to 20 minutes and then it goes warm. was told there was a leak and I needed a drier. is this the problem or something else is wrong?

·
Registered
944 Posts
I have a 2000 Ranger. the clutch in the air conditioning isn't engaging at all plus I get cold air for about 15 to 20 minutes and then it goes warm.
It is hard to image that the clutch does not engage if you are getting cold air. Are you sure the clutch never engages?

Have you checked the cycle switch?
http://www.fordforumsonline.com/for...systems/303-test-c-cycle-switch.html#post1485

was told there was a leak and I needed a drier. is this the problem or something else is wrong?
Is the drier leaking? Sometimes the steel accumulator will rust through, causing a leak. Is this what you are saying?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
still having problem with a/c

have 2000 ranger. when truck is idling I have a/c. when I start driving the a/c air goes to warm. any suggestions as to what could be the problem? had it recharged about a month ago but not sure how much was put in. was told I had a hose leak but would the freon leak out that fast?

·
Registered
944 Posts
Refrigerant is under considerable pressure, and can leak out quickly if there is a problem with a hose or pipe or other component. If your A/C is truly working at an idle, it would seem that your system has refrigerant in it. Fixing leaks is always the correct thing to do.

When the A/C "goes to warm", does the compressor stay engaged?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no I don't hear the compressor clicking on and off. how do I find where the leak is coming from? I know to use trace dye but have no clue where to start with all of this.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If your A/C system already has dye, then you will need to find a shop or a friend with a UV light, or purchase a light. Getting the vehicle out of direct sunlight is imperative for good results in finding leaks.

Posting some gauge pressure readings would also be very helpful in determining why your A/C is not working.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCLGXTlim0"]YouTube - How to find leaks in your car with a UV light and dye.[/ame]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts