Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am new to the site and have a question about a 78 futura. I will be getting this car hopefully this weekend from a long time friend. the car has been sitting for about 2 or 3 years so naturally ill have to pick the engine over (add fuel and jusp start it with a little bit of prayer and see what happens) to make sure it'll run. but my question is this: it has rusted through A-pillars that are a big concern. I'm no good with body work, and was wondering what the feasibility of getting this fixed at a body shop would be.
thanks

·
Registered
684 Posts
Depending on the severity, it can be fixed. I have this problem to a small degree on my car, more so though, on the leading edge of the roof. I'm unsure what to do with mine, I may try fibreglass if the quote to weld it all up is too high. Create an album here and put up some pics, I'd like to compare it to mine. Oh, and Welcome!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i just have it on the bottom edge of the driver door, and a small one in the floorboard. so i couldn't tell you how much the pillar would be...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Labor prices vary greatly around the country and that is all labor.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
if you have the opportunity to, go to the nearest boneyard with the same body style as yours, bring a sawzall cut out sections a little longer than what you need (like 2 inches on both ends) and bring them in when you have the estimatedone. it'll save them some time having to custom fabricate the pieces...

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
Hello everyone! I am new to the site and have a question about a 78 futura. I will be getting this car hopefully this weekend from a long time friend. the car has been sitting for about 2 or 3 years so naturally ill have to pick the engine over (add fuel and jusp start it with a little bit of prayer and see what happens) to make sure it'll run. but my question is this: it has rusted through A-pillars that are a big concern. I'm no good with body work, and was wondering what the feasibility of getting this fixed at a body shop would be.
thanks
Welcome friend !! Jonzo is on to the same idea I had. Find some replacements at the bone yard. Some of the other Fox Chassis cars could provide some more pieces...but wont be exactly the same as yours. The body shope can cut and patch in what they need. This is a common issue for the Fairmonts / Fox Chassis cars. It can be fixed, just a matter of how much you want to spend. If you can get parts for them it will help out a lot in over all costs.

Pic's would be good help.
Good luck !!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts