Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed recently that the carpet padding on the passenger side floor was damp. I also haven't seen an AC condensation under the front of the vehicle lately. So, I'm suspecting the AC condensate drain may be plugged. I expect it to be a tube coming out of the passenger side firewall. Correct? Can it be accessed from the top or bottom?

·
Registered
387 Posts
I seem to remember that front condensate drain hose above the sub frame, right by the firewall.

At one time I removed the right side plastic inner fender to do some soundproofing and remember seeing the front AC drain hose at that time. It may be the easiest access to it. Remove the tire, take off a few plastic screw inserts.

Attachments

Reactions: Exocet and Dominick

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The drain wasn't that easy to find. Put the Freestar up on the ramps. Couldn't see anything. Dropped it down, pulled the right front wheel and fender liner and no luck. Ended up removing the front cowl and HVAC intake tube. It was right below that. Barely sticks out of the firewall. It's right above the steering rack bellows. Ran a wire into it and blasted it with some compressed air. Fired up the AC and water started dripping out.

Pulled back the carpet and padding on the passenger side front and stuck a fan on it overnight to dry it out.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
The drain wasn't that easy to find. Put the Freestar up on the ramps. Couldn't see anything. Dropped it down, pulled the right front wheel and fender liner and no luck. Ended up removing the front cowl and HVAC intake tube. It was right below that. Barely sticks out of the firewall. It's right above the steering rack bellows. Ran a wire into it and blasted it with some compressed air. Fired up the AC and water started dripping out.

Pulled back the carpet and padding on the passenger side front and stuck a fan on it overnight to dry it out.
Nice explaination.
Thanks for posting back. If you could post a picture of its location, that would make this thread more helpful to others with a similar problem.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks Exocet for the exact location.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after thinking everything was fine, I find the carpet wet again under the dash on the passenger side. So, I went poking around under the dash around the AC drain and it looks like there's a foam rubber seal around where the drain goes through the firewall. As I push around on the seal, it felt as if I could stick my finger back into the evaporator housing side of the drain. Hmm. So, I pulled on the seal and it moved back a bit. It seems like the seal might cover the gap between the evap housing and the drain outlet in the firewall. Does anyone have a diagram of this area? I curious how it actually goes together.

Since, I tweaked the seal a few days ago, the carpet has been dry.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Exocet,
I looked thru my factory manual and it does not show the drain hose from the air box, in any views. I then googled and also came up blank trying to find even a replacement hose. I have no idea how they go together.
After thinking thru your situation, if the hose just comes straight out from the firewall a short stub, could the condensate have been pushed back by air flow back into the foam gasketing in the hole? If this is right, possibly you could find, or make a better rubber grommet type seal to slip over the O.D of the drain tube to prevent backflow to the firewall hole?

Maybe someone on the forum could tell you that has seen, or has access to a Freestar, or similar Windstar air box replacement and could inspect it to see how the drain hose connection attaches to the actual heater plenum box. I think its one of those things that you would have to inspect the entire box before installation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Exocet,
I looked thru my factory manual and it does not show the drain hose from the air box, in any views. I then googled and also came up blank trying to find even a replacement hose. I have no idea how they go together.
After thinking thru your situation, if the hose just comes straight out from the firewall a short stub, could the condensate have been pushed back by air flow back into the foam gasketing in the hole? If this is right, possibly you could find, or make a better rubber grommet type seal to slip over the O.D of the drain tube to prevent backflow to the firewall hole?

Maybe someone on the forum could tell you that has seen, or has access to a Freestar, or similar Windstar air box replacement and could inspect it to see how the drain hose connection attaches to the actual heater plenum box. I think its one of those things that you would have to inspect the entire box before installation.

Hi sir! From where can you access the AC Condensation drain outlet? Is it from the engine bay or from underneath the vehicle? Can you share some photos? Thank you!

·
Administrator
15,321 Posts
Autohabit, welcome to the FFO!

The original poster has not been here in 7 1/2 years. Based on description, access is from the engine comartment

Action

1 - 11 of 11 Posts