Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Escape that did not come with cruise control but I really want to add it. I have seen after market controls but was not really all that impressed. I have also seen steering wheels that were for sale from junked Escapes that have the cruise control installed on them. I am looking that route because the dealer is no help in this.

Is is possible I could purchase one of these steering wheels and simply replace the old one and re-connect the electronics?

Also, who might be able to do something like that? The dealer says that the vehicle was not "designed" for cruise control and that it could not be offered from Ford. This is absurd because of course it was designed for them, just as it was designed for a roof rack though it does not have one (and Ford could not provide that, either).

The result is that I want factory cruise but cannot seem to get the factory to install it.

Thanks.

MF

·
Registered
86 Posts
well there is more to it besides the steering wheel, you got the other throttle cable that is connected to it, when u look at the engine it looks like there is two throttles, one is for the cruse control. maybe someone else can explain it better, but ur gonna probly need a new wireing harness and that can be a mess for newer cars

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have done it on a pick-up not 100% positive with yours though.All I had to do was replace the steering wheel and then you have to reprogram it from not present to present for speed control.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Isn't the '08 a DBW(drive by wire) system like the >'09? No trottle cable or huge cruise module with cable under the hood?

You'd need more than a steering wheel. It seems if it's DBW, it's all electronic and programing the PCM would be needed.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Okay, would Ford reprogram the vehicle? If not, who could?
It would take a Ford IDS(PC/software). Not sure if just anybody could purchase the hardware and software license.

I've seen the stuff for sale, it's like $10,000 for the Dell which they "don't" make anymore. You probably need to purchase a license key on top of that. All just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
623 Posts
We would charge 1/2 hour labor so about 43 plus tax.Some locksmiths have ids to program keys but they might not know how to program the pcm for cruise control.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Another thing to consider is the Air Bag system.below the steering wheel is a clock spring or slipring.If it doesn't have the correct connections you would have to replace that also.The cheapest and easiest would be buy an aftermarket unit and live with an extra stalk on the steering column.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Another thing to consider is the Air Bag system.below the steering wheel is a clock spring or slipring.If it doesn't have the correct connections you would have to replace that also.The cheapest and easiest would be buy an aftermarket unit and live with an extra stalk on the steering column.
I've seen that in the manual, clock spring! What is that???

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've seen that in the manual, clock spring! What is that???
It's what allows the steering wheel to turn with out breaking all the electrical connections .

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's what allows the steering wheel to turn with out breaking all the electrical connections .
Thanks! They sure could of come up with a better name for it instead of that. I wonder if all manufacturers use the same term?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
According to Ford, the computer is hard programmed and cannot be re-programmed. What a shame. Guess it's over to the secondary market. Since it will be another 8 years or so before I consider getting a new vehicle, they lost further ways to make money off me by sending me to a market in which they have no input. This opens the door to further new after market considerations I might not have otherwise made. They can operate how they want and that is certainly fine. I'm not going to trash Ford or anything (I own a 1949 Ford F1), but it seems an odd business model to so utterly limit after-the-sale service. If anything, it would seem to me a way to really increase the money made in service and after-market products when selling to the base utility market. You know, sell at a lower price now, and make more money later while keeping the customer coming back happy.

In any case, thanks a bunch for the ideas and suggestions (including bailing from the other site!).

MF

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks! They sure could of come up with a better name for it instead of that. I wonder if all manufacturers use the same term?
I think so , I know Chrysler does ! it is coiled and resembles an old clock spring .

·
Registered
623 Posts
I really find that hard to believe that it is hard programed,Ive never heard of that and to be honest with you I dont believe it.Can you try a different dealership ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The service tech was pretty honest and offered his opinion on the subject - but then he was still the tech on site and if they don't feel like getting into the business that could be the "company line" so to speak. I'm going to check around some more. If anyone hears otherwise (in the MS, LA, AL area that is) I's sure appreciate hearing from you!

Thanks,

MF

·
Registered
532 Posts
I really find that hard to believe that it is hard programed,Ive never heard of that and to be honest with you I dont believe it.Can you try a different dealership ?
I know at least some of the older PCMs had ROMS or PROMS that had to be swapped out for firmware changes , and a few had EPROMS that were sometimes re-burnt with new software . But changes could still be made .

·
Registered
78 Posts
I installed a Rostra cruise kit on my 2006 Tribute. It was not DBW though. They do list a kit for 2008-2010 escape, I believe it is the same servo system though, so they must attach it in-vehicle to the pedal assembly.

I would suggest finding some wiring diagrams and see what is involved in the wheel swap and to see if the vehicle is pre-wired. I would be shocked if it is not.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you are ever in Hammond,La stop by Bill Hood Ford and I can hook up to your vehicle.

Parts lists only 1 clockspring and a million steering wheels depending on all kinds of stuff but with more info about your vehicle it could be figured out.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
you know there is another option, use a brick.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Toyota cruise control . . . naa that would be dangerous

1 - 20 of 26 Posts