Ford Automobiles banner

air intake/filter

6K views 56 replies 8 participants last post by  megascape 
#1 ·
Since cold is apparently makes such a big difference would a vehicle that has limited after market parts benefit by taking the top portion of the air box out and installing two filters back to back cause less are flow or would it work as a cold air system but save $100.00
i'm am not going to do this I was just looking at the prices of the K&N and said to myself wow, I hope a person gets what they pay for at those prices for an air filter..

#2 ·
Im kinda at a loss at what you are asking. you are looking at the possibility of putting two filters in the air box but leaving the box in its current location? and youre wondering if this is comperable to a cold air induction system? Or are you comparing the possibility of putting two filters back to back to a K&N filter?

#3 ·
back to back to a K&N. Would it doe anything different if the top of the box was left off. i'm noway in hell going to try it. I just had a random thought since people are trying to save money now days and some people are spending tons of money on accessories that make some difference in different situations but not all the time.. I actually prefer the box filter because it's easy to maintain, however I am thinking of researching a Jet Performance chip called the Stage 2 Off-Road chip.

#4 ·
before you go running off to modify your existing PCM,keep this in mind.People that modify PCM's for a living have a dyno to test all the mods that perform.It's kinda of like trying a new recipe and modifying to your taste.If you screw it up too bad you just throw it away and start all over.I'm sure you don't want to do that with your Xcape.Ford chips arn't user friendly.You have to solder them into the PCM,and there's nothing worse than pulling off an etch that stuck to your soldering iron. Just my 2 cents,it's your money.:)

#6 ·
jet performance has some pretty neat stuff.I could imagine you doing small incremental changes and seeing what it does.Stay away from thos ebay chips,they just TRY and fool the PCM and not to successfully.:thumbsup:

#7 ·
ok,depending on your application, leaving the top of the box off would probably cause the engine to perform differently. the air box sucks in air from a source outside of the engine bay. if you take off the top, you will pull air directly from under the hood.
using a double filter will not make the engine cooler. it will probably make the engine slower cause the air will be warmer. cooler denser air = more fuel =more power. the higher the air temp the less dense the air becomes, the less power.
now, i have had a k&n filter for ten years cause they are washable. compare that to replacing the stock filter every year.
now, comparing the box filter to a cold air intake, the box is more restrictive even though when it remains you leave the top on it does draw air from outside the engine bay. the cold air kit draws air from the fenderwell and is less restrictive.

#9 · (Edited)
NOTE: Any modification to a 1978 and later vehicle in the U.S.A. must be done with aftermarket or OEM parts that are certified as "street legal" if the vehicle is used "OFF ROAD" only. If the vehicle is put on the public roads after having been "tampered with" it is a violation of several federal laws and all 50 state EPA (and other state laws). Some states are more active with their enforcement, e.g. CA and its CARB laws. Check the manufacturer of any aftermarket "enhancement" parts for the "street legal certificate". Note that the federal fine for such tampering, generally altering the polution controls or polution output, is $25,000 per instance. The state fines and penalties vary including siezure of the vehicle. Any professionals who install these devices on a vehicle used on the public roads (licensed), or remove polution control devices, e.g. catylitic converters, can be fined and imprisoned. Let the buyer beware, e.g. buying aftermarket performance devices. Added note: K&N goes through the approval process so that their products are street legal. The process is not cheap and that is why their products are so expensive. This would apply to other products as well, that is the federal and 50 state certification process adds to the cost.

#11 ·
Skyhawk, that is a good thing to keep in mind before doing any modification. I dont believe our experienced and knowledegable posters would suggest anything like that, sometimes in their "heat of passion" they may tend to forget whose questions they are answering,without taking into account the posters level of understanding of the laws but, I would, in good confidence,believe they would never post anything that would never post anything that was EPA or governmentally determental.
great post though and great reminder to all. youve got my:thumbsup:!

#12 ·
The government tells you it's illegal to spit on the ground also. they tell you that jaywalking is illegal. They would make a law against excess flatulence if they could. There you go fella's. No more beer farts for you all...

#13 ·
legal

The government tells you it's illegal to spit on the ground also. they tell you that jaywalking is illegal. They would make a law against excess flatulence if they could. There you go fella's. No more beer farts for you all...
Its only illegal if you get caught!!!

#15 ·
ok,depending on your application, leaving the top of the box off would probably cause the engine to perform differently. the air box sucks in air from a source outside of the engine bay. if you take off the top, you will pull air directly from under the hood.
using a double filter will not make the engine cooler. it will probably make the engine slower cause the air will be warmer. cooler denser air = more fuel =more power. the higher the air temp the less dense the air becomes, the less power.
now, i have had a k&n filter for ten years cause they are washable. compare that to replacing the stock filter every year.
now, comparing the box filter to a cold air intake, the box is more restrictive even though when it remains you leave the top on it does draw air from outside the engine bay. the cold air kit draws air from the fenderwell and is less restrictive.
i still say hood scoop, and hole in the hood going to intake...

#17 ·
#19 ·
no metallica from RELOAD like 97 i think. Fuel

#21 ·
#22 ·
i wonder if there's a way to put a shaker hood in the "E"?

#24 ·
#26 ·
question is, how does the shaker mount for the mustang?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.