Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Ford 500 Alarm Light is blinking like there is when the alarm system is tripped. In this case that is not the case. I just had the car at a tire shop fixing a flat and when I got the car back, I noticed the light blinking as well as a symbol on the dash console. No system check indicates any problem. What is the matter?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
A tripped sensor. Like the door or hood or deck lid is not fully closed.

Kind of a guess

Action

Reactions: TBIRD430

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That was the first thing I checked. The anti-theft system dash symbol and associated light below are the ones blinking. The auto starts and everything checks locked. What the heck could someone repairing a tire do that would cause this problem since it wasn't a problem before?

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
I am not that familiar with the PATS system. Passive Antitheft System
My first suggestion, the PATS is part of the PCM. Pull codes to see if there are any.
Second thing - use a different key to see what happens.
Third suggestion, which a little bit of a pain is to disconnect the battery for at least 45 minutes and then reconnect. This wouold reset a lot of things, including pre-sets for seats, maybe radio and the electronic engine controls. Maybe other things too. Hopefull reset the PATS as well. This may be wishful thinking and it doesn;t cost much.

If not this site may help you.
Ford PATS Antitheft System — Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice Ricks Free Auto Repair Advice | Automotive Repair Tips and How-To

Action

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
If you are going to do that (reset) disconnecting the battery for 45 minutes would be a far better approach.

Action

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay, I disconnected battery overnight but the issue did not change. The red light continues to blink twice the off and repeats. Also dash symbol blinks a few times but that stops after awhile. Also, the alarm system itsel does not work - only if you if you press the alarm on key fob will the horn sound.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
Pulling codes would be the next step.

Action

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That also was one of the first things I did, but I get no codes. Problem with taking the car to an authorized Ford Dealership is that their diagnostic machines are not califrated for a 17 year old Ford. That's what the dealership says.

·
Administrator
Phoenix, AZ 85008
16,568 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts