Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went back & looked @ D.Ackers question about an easier method to clean Alum rims..Well I just remembered this question & broke out my easy off oven cleaner to see how it works on the rims.. Sprayed rims with easy off & let it sit for 5 mins...Then I took a regular household scrub brush & scrubbed it up real good..Then I rinsed off the easy off.. The whole process was about 7 min for 1 rim..

Before

After

·
Registered
906 Posts
VERY nice! Know what I'm doing next time!

·
Registered
890 Posts
looks like it works nice, but my question is how is the clearcoat? was it there before you started, and did it go away any when you scrubbed it? just curious...

·
Registered
133 Posts
if your going to go as far as using oven cleaner, and removing the clear coat, (not saying that you are, but) if you don't have clear coat u could try using a aluminum acid. i have a set of ramcharger rims i have on my 82 bronco, and once a year i pull them off spray them down, scrub and hose them off. the acid takes off all the oxidization and black residue. it does leave the aluminum a little dull but a polish will bring things right back and provide a little protection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts