Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
what about for moderate off-road, mainly 20 mph to 25 small woopdy-do, quick breaking, and small maybe 16 to 20" ruts at slow speeds. Would the steel be better or is the alloy more then strong enough for those conditions maybe 1 to 2 times a month?
If you're going to be going off road with the truck. Then it's sort of a pick your poison... Aluminum may crack or break depending on what you hit. Steel you'll bend the rim...Both outcomes you'll have to purchase new rim.. If you're only going to be doing light off road. I really wouldn't worry about anything...Go with what you like & can afford..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
steel holds air a lot better than Aluminum does.
and as far as the steel rusting part, aluminum does too, but after it corrodes...

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I have never seen a 3 slot opening in a F-150 they normally have 4 or 5.
Have you taken the tire off of it and looked for a stamping #

·
Registered
128 Posts
The factory aluminum wheels are not forged, unlike alcoa wheels. If your aluminum wheels are forged they will not crack and break, they will bend. This is a nice option as you can heat the wheel and bend it back making for a spare. It will never be straight again but the tire will hold air, at least for a while.

I have found that in winter my rides with aluminum wheels will lose air if I'm not driving them. at 50 below zero the aluminum will contract a LOT more than steel and the tires just go flat. Parked in the garage, no problem. Problem is, garage is just not big enough. I have two full sets of factory aluminum wheels for my super-duty, one with summer tires and the other with good winter tires.

Long story short, it all comes down to what you want. Each has their good points, and their down sides. If you like how it looks on your ride, enjoy it. Its your ride.

·
Banned
5 Posts
Avoiding rust is the number 1 reason for aluminum wheels. It is also lightweight that can add you a better fuel mileage for a lighter car.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey Mega, do a search for those wheels to fit a Ranger of the same year, they also were available with those wheels and may give you a broader search range.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Another important reason for using aluminum rims is the accuracy of the radial runout. Aluminum rims have very little runnout which helps to improve ride. Steel rims which generally have the spider welded in cannot hold the tolerance on radial runout that aluminum riims can.

JW

·
Registered
147 Posts
That looks like it might be the spare. You'll have to search a little harder to find those since they're all just hanging around 1 at a time under vehicles.

·
Registered
147 Posts
If you're looking for a change have you thought of having your wheels powdercoated or painted black. I've looked into that and found a place here in Phoenix that would do all 4 for $250. I would have to bring the wheels in by themselves though so the X would be sitting on jackstands and I would have to dismount the tires.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts