Ford Automobiles banner

Aluminum wheels

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  carbuilder 
#1 ·
I have a 2001 F150 with 17" aluminum wheels. My tire changer guy told me the rims are corroded around the bead area of the rim. Is there a solution for this problem besides buying new wheels?

#2 ·
All aluminum will start to oxidize if there is no coating on it.Wheels ususlly have a thick protective finish on the face but not very much on the inner sides.Depending on how much has oxidized and how pitted it is,I would suggest cleaning it up with some scotch-brite pads and then spraying on a clear plastic coating available at any hardware or parts store.The tire installer should be able to apply a bead sealant to the rims and your problem is pretty much solved.

#3 ·
I agree with boghog, clean them with scotch-brite pad, to remove the corrosion. However, what I use is a heavy grease on the bead. This has the advantage of protecting from corrosion, adding a lubricant for the removal and installation of your tires. Plus it also aids in sealing the bead.

No need to buy new wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.