Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like i have been having alot of electrical problems lately for some reason.... Well i have a 96 ford mustang 3.8 i been using as my daily driver, bought it from a guy who had it sitting for atleast 3 years. I did a tune up on it all the normal things.. Well ever since i got it my fuel gauge never worked even after i completely ran out of gas. I could never put more than 20 bucks of gas....my fuel gauge was always stuck at full, Well i did notice the fuse for the ignition switch system was blown. I replaced it and it was fine for about a week when it blew again when i was starting the car.... replaced it and it was fine for about another week. Today i got to start the car and i get nothing, so i look under the hood and change the fuse again but it instantly pops it. This time i look and the 2 ignition switch fuses are blown. In the chart i will supply below there's 3 spots for the ignition switch system i blew number 1 and 3.

When ever i try to replace the fuses they blow instantly, And i also notice my fuel gauge now moved to about the half way mark. Could i have a short at the fuel pump somewhere? Since its been sitting for a while maybe some cats or something decided to nibble on the wiring lol anything i should look at? Please let me know before i decide to take it to a mechanic which im sure will not be cheap. thanks.

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/9389/image2gu3.jpg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hey there Moloudbass,

It sounds like you do have a short or a wiring issue. Here are some power and ground distribution, instrument cluster/panel and fuel pump wiring diagrams specific to a 1996 Mustang.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again poppy! Before i did those things you told me i decided to check all fuses and relays, Turns out i had a bad relay i think, because i replaced them and put new fuses on the ones that blew and she started right up. Now the gas needle moved back to full so i still have that problem haha but i am gonna take it to a mechanic that my friend knows and have him fix that. Again thanks alot!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts