Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I borrowed a set of guages and am having a heck of a time getting the high pressure connector to attach to the 134a connector on my '90 Bronco that has been converted to 134a.

IT is currently 77 degrees F and 79% humidity.

I got 26 psi low side, and 220-225 psi high side.
It is blowing pretty cold, and sweating at the low side all the way to the compressor. At the compressor side, it is cool, not cold, and is only sweating because of the very high relative humidity.

Are these numbers good? Should I go higher?
BTW... I stopped at this point, the high side hose connection popped off of the high side connector. It obviously was not fully connected. I don't know why I am having such a hard time with this.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The numbers look OK, if it's cooling OK don't add any more.
Some of those aluminum r-12 to r-134 adapters are ill fitting.....hard to connect and pops off. You could change it out with a brass piece to be sure you are getting the correct high side reading.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Stick a thermometer in the middle of the dash (A/C vent) and see what the temperature of the air is. If you are getting 32 to 40 degrees with the A/C on MAX, and the blower motor on high, with all windows up, then your system is functioning properly. Generally getting air temps 20 to 25 degrees colder than the outside air temperature (not ambient under the hood temperature) is acceptable.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Jim, I do have aluminum adapters on there. Since it seems to be cooling ok, I guess I'll just leave it. To replace the adapters, I would lose the freon that is in there and I do not have the ability to vacuum it out.

Skyhawk, if the air temp is not as you suggest, I know that it could be becuase the compressor is 20 years old. The evap coil may be clogged or dirty, the cooling fan clutch slipping, the heater blend door is partially open or leaking, or a number of other things. That's why it was important to me to see what the pressures are and to get advice regarding them.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

·
Registered
944 Posts
The quality of retrofit adapters varies greatly, as do the quality of the service couplers. I have found that if the coupler refuses to stay engaged, sometimes a different coupler, or different style often will work. You might also check the inside of the coupler to make sure it is clean, and that the retaining ball bearings are free to engage the adapter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Don't be worried about hitting those numbers out of the center vent.With 32 degrees,your evap will soon be icing up.36 is more the norm.Cabin temp should be about 20-25 below outside ambient temps.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I had bought a temp guage and can't find the darn thing. At least for now I am satisfied that it is performing well. I really enjoy this, because I got a little bit of an education about AC here. I had the opportunity to chat with electro, and he gave me a better understanding of the complexities of dealing with r22 systems that were converted to 134a and how the high side pressure can rise on geometric proportions when it is full and the outside temperature rises.

Although I will never be an expert, it is great to gain additonal insight.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks Jim, I do have aluminum adapters on there. Since it seems to be cooling ok, I guess I'll just leave it. To replace the adapters, I would lose the freon that is in there and I do not have the ability to vacuum it out.

Skyhawk, if the air temp is not as you suggest, I know that it could be becuase the compressor is 20 years old. The evap coil may be clogged or dirty, the cooling fan clutch slipping, the heater blend door is partially open or leaking, or a number of other things. That's why it was important to me to see what the pressures are and to get advice regarding them.

Thanks for the input guys. :)
Joe, there is a schrader valve under the adapter, you should not loose freon.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the input. I had bought a temp guage and can't find the darn thing. At least for now I am satisfied that it is performing well. I really enjoy this, because I got a little bit of an education about AC here. I had the opportunity to chat with electro, and he gave me a better understanding of the complexities of dealing with r22 systems that were converted to 134a and how the high side pressure can rise on geometric proportions when it is full and the outside temperature rises.

Although I will never be an expert, it is great to gain additonal insight.
You mean R12, right?
40-45F at the vent is plenty of cooling for a converted system. As Doc says, the high side can get out of control if you try to get it colder.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Joe, there is a schrader valve under the adapter, you should not loose freon.

You mean R12, right?
40-45F at the vent is plenty of cooling for a converted system. As Doc says, the high side can get out of control if you try to get it colder.
Thanks again Jim,
and YES R12 converted to 134a :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts