Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights don't turn on as soon as I would like in low light . I'm thinking about trying some kind of light filter over the dash sensor . Wonder if anyone else has done this ? I do like the fact they turn on with the windshield wipers.

·
Registered
694 Posts
My headlights don't turn on as soon as I would like in low light . I'm thinking about trying some kind of light filter over the dash sensor . Wonder if anyone else has done this ? I do like the fact they turn on with the windshield wipers.
Hmm, didn't know that they turned ON with the wipers though!

How about the Daylight Running Lamps? I heard, if available, the option must be activated by your dealer.

·
Registered
338 Posts
first anything that darkens the light coming in will help to kick it in quicker ... or you can check and there might be a setting you can adjust, i know my lincoln does. As for turning on with the wipers, some states require that with wipers, head lights are on ... New York for example so that probley why they do it ... i think

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first anything that darkens the light coming in will help to kick it in quicker ... or you can check and there might be a setting you can adjust, i know my lincoln does. As for turning on with the wipers, some states require that with wipers, head lights are on ... New York for example so that probley why they do it ... i think
Couldn't find any settings in the manual. Here in Missouri headlights are required when wipers are on so I do like that function .

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, didn't know that they turned ON with the wipers though!

How about the Daylight Running Lamps? I heard, if available, the option must be activated by your dealer.
Yep , in auto my lights come on with the wipers. It's the law here in Missouri anyway.
Don't know if daylight "running lamps" are available on our Escapes ? The last Chevy I had came that way from the factory.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Yep , in auto my lights come on with the wipers. It's the law here in Missouri anyway.
Don't know if daylight "running lamps" are available on our Escapes ? The last Chevy I had came that way from the factory.
Daylight Running Lamps are enabled on vehicles sold in Canada becasue it's the law.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Daylight Running Lamps are enabled on vehicles sold in Canada becasue it's the law.
Anyone know if / How to enable them ? Nothing in my manual I can find.:confused:

·
Registered
906 Posts
Anyone know if / How to enable them ? Nothing in my manual I can find.:confused:
I know with the Contour you can just add the relay (assuming the wiring is there). Check your manual to see where the relay would be, if there are contacts there for the relay to plug into, buy the relay and install it and in theory your DRLs should work.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The Ford Workshop Manual outlines the procedure to enable to DRL but it's all programed but the feature has to be available in the list of functions in the Smart Junction Box.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may just find something to filter some of the light shining on the dash sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The way these light sensitive systems works is this. Bare in mind that this is how Older ford AUTOLAMP systems funtioned. They could have changed this.

Ground is fed through the SUNLOAD sensor, in the middle of the Defrost vent, center Dash. This thing is actually a PHOTO RESISTOR. It is a variable resistor to ground. This will provide more or less gound signal based on the amount of light that makes it's way to it. This is provided as an input to the AUTOLAMP (and EATC, if equipped:Note 1) system. This system is controlled by the SMART Junction BOX (SJB). NOTE (2)
Think if this the same way you would a volume control. It is is a Variable resister.

At full light, it is turned up to full resistance. Little or NO ground signal makes it's way back to the SJB. At full dark, it is at FULL resistance. So if the SUNLOAD was disconnected, the system would interpret this as DARK; and turn on the AUTOLAMPS.

Here is my theory: If you want your AUTOLAMPS to turn on earlier, the system needs less ground signal to change what it thinks is DARK. I would get a variable resistor from Radio Crap, and place it between the signal wire back to the the SJB. Take a few days and start @ ZERO, zero added resistance, each dusk add a little more until you find the setting you like. Keep this set for a few days. IF you like it, take an OHM meter, and check what the resistance is. Go got Radio Crap again, and get a comparable FIXED resister. (Note 3)

I have an '08 manaul. This SHOULD apply.
There is a Blue/Brown wire @ the Fuse panel Connector c2280-B, PIN 46. It will show more ground @ light and little to no ground @ dark. I would take and ohm meter and check it's resistance to ground. Stick and flashlight over the sensor and cover it up and see if it changes.

Note 1: EATC- Electronic Automatic Temperature Control. This is the computer controlled heater and A/C controls.
Note 2:This is what veterans know as the conglomeration of the old Central Juntion box (CJB) and Generic Electronics Module (GEM).
Note 3 : I make no warranty and no guarantees. Only perform my modifications if you are confidante and Skillful in automotive electrical and electronics. I am not responsible for your destroying your vehicle.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The way these light sensitive systems works is this. Bare in mind that this is how Older ford AUTOLAMP systems funtioned. They could have changed this.

Ground is fed through the SUNLOAD sensor, in the middle of the Defrost vent, center Dash. This thing is actually a PHOTO RESISTOR. It is a variable resistor to ground. This will provide more or less gound signal based on the amount of light that makes it's way to it. This is provided as an input to the AUTOLAMP (and EATC, if equipped:Note 1) system. This system is controlled by the SMART Junction BOX (SJB). NOTE (2)
Think if this the same way you would a volume control. It is is a Variable resister.

At full light, it is turned up to full resistance. Little or NO ground signal makes it's way back to the SJB. At full dark, it is at FULL resistance. So if the SUNLOAD was disconnected, the system would interpret this as DARK; and turn on the AUTOLAMPS.

Here is my theory: If you want your AUTOLAMPS to turn on earlier, the system needs less ground signal to change what it thinks is DARK. I would get a variable resistor from Radio Crap, and place it between the signal wire back to the the SJB. Take a few days and start @ ZERO, zero added resistance, each dusk add a little more until you find the setting you like. Keep this set for a few days. IF you like it, take an OHM meter, and check what the resistance is. Go got Radio Crap again, and get a comparable FIXED resister. (Note 3)

What vehicle do you have?

Note 1: EATC- Electronic Automatic Temperature Control. This is the computer controlled heater and A/C controls.
Note 2:This is what veterans know as the conglomeration of the old Central Juntion box (CJB) and Generic Electronics Module (GEM).
Note 3 : I make no warranty and no guarantees. Only perform my modifications if you are confidante and Skillful in automotive electrical and electronics. I am not responsible for your destroying your vehicle.

It's an 09 Escape with ATC . I might go that way , I've got a bunch of potentiometers in my electronic junk drawers anyway , I mainly hate to start taking things apart on a new car. Sure would like a good schematic , but am to cheep to pay the price.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's an 09 Escape with ATC . I might go that way , I've got a bunch of potentiometers in my electronic junk drawers anyway , I mainly hate to start taking things apart on a new car. Sure would like a good schematic , but am to cheep to pay the price.
Ebay, $7. Shipped

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have attached three PDF files that show the Autoheadlamp setup. Pin 46 on connector C2288oB is the wire that comes from the daylight sensor. Escape uses 2 different sensor units one with autoair and one without. The one with auto air has a sunlight load sensor to help keep the temp correct inside the car. The connector is at the SJB (smart junction box) that is at the front of the center console passinger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
can't you just turn them on manually> and just keep them on when you want them? I'm use to older vehicles where there wasn't anything like that.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have attached three PDF files that show the Autoheadlamp setup. Pin 46 on connector C2288oB is the wire that comes from the daylight sensor. Escape uses 2 different sensor units one with autoair and one without. The one with auto air has a sunlight load sensor to help keep the temp correct inside the car. The connector is at the SJB (smart junction box) that is at the front of the center console passinger side.
Thanks man !

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can't you just turn them on manually> and just keep them on when you want them? I'm use to older vehicles where there wasn't anything like that.
Yes , but I'm used to auto headlights . just lazy I guess ! :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts