Automatic to Manual Conversion | FordForumsOnline.com
  1. Welcome to FordForumsOnline! Our community is here to help you with any questions you have related to your Ford. If you are looking for a friendly community to hang out with other Ford owners you can look no further than our forums here! Registering is easy and free!

Automatic to Manual Conversion

Discussion in 'Post War Models to 1960' started by 55Merc, Jul 5, 2017.

1. 55Merc

55Merc New Member

Guys,
    I have a spare Ford top loader 4 speed tranny that I'm thinking about Installing in my '55 Automatic equipped Mercury Montclair. I think we all know that Fords and Mercs have always shared about 90% of their platforms so due to shear numbers, I'm looking for Ford donor parts more than I am Mercury. #1, I need to confirm what other year Fords share interchangeable clutch and brake pedal asssmblies with a '55 Ford/Merc. I have located a 1957 Ford Fairlane assembly along with a bell housing and flywheel from the same car. The problem with acquiring the required parts piece by piece is availability. #2, I prefer to locate a complete manual transmission equipped donor car with 12 volt electrical system ('56,? '57?)as I am also planning to make that conversion as well and could use interchangeable parts for that purpose as well. Any help or suggestions appreciated.
  2. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

I don't have parts catalogs that are old enough. (I have cars from 1960 and newer) Otherwise I will pull some data. Eventually I wil buy that and I am saving up for some car parts.

This is what you may want. http://www.ebay.com/itm/49-59-Ford-...ash=item1c86e7bf31:g:DY4AAOSwhvFZILID&vxp=mtr

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
  3. Action

Action Moderator Staff Member Respected Member

4. Slidemanic

Slidemanic New Member

Maybe I can help. In 1980, I had a '57 Ford automatic convertible and a '57 Ford sedan donor car with a manual trans. I also had a '69 Torino GT with the top loader 4-speed. All V8's. This was to be the 5th auto-to-manual conversion I'd done, mainly '55-'56-'57 Fords. Differences: the normal toploader in/out splines are not like those on the early Fords. '57 has finer splines going out than '55-'56. I had the driveshaft for the toploader,but the length was wrong for the '57,so I installed the '57 3-speed and steering column. I don't know if the '57 pedal set is like the '55-'56 (doubt it). Hope this helps.