Ford Automobiles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a 1995 thunderbird 4.6 and on the passenger side valve cover there is a small hole. I can see where the timing chain wore the hole in the cover. I am pretty sure the car has jumped timing and has since been drove for approx 50 miles. I drove the car approx 2 miles and it does not have any power at all, it will hardley even go 15 mph. the motor does not make any bad noises except for the timing chain rubbing on the valve cover, and the motor does not get hot at all.

Is my motor ruined, or can I have a new timing chain kit put on the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Replace all worn components, including the chains. That IS an interference engine so before you spend a bunch of money on new parts you need to determine how far it jumped. Try to re time it with what you have and as Wiz said do a compression check. If it's only off a couple teeth you should be ok but if it is off a lot it will have bent valves.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Several people have said it is an interference and several people have said it is not. I get several different answers on the internet too. I was hoping it was a non-interference engine because my luck is so bad that if it is interference then the whole motor is probably shot. Thanks for all the replys.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
ALL Ford OHC engines that have a chain for timing are interference. If they have a belt they are non-interference. A couple of months ago I inspected a couple heads that the chain had broken on. Almost every valve was bent and all had been touched by a piston. The 4.6 is so close in tolerance that if you rotate a cam gear by hand with #1 at TDC you will contact valves with pistons on #1 and #6. That's why when you set the cams you must have the crank at 90* past TDC. You set and lock the cams THEN move the crank BACK to TDC. Do not finish the rotation. You must move it back-wards or again you will ding valves on the overlap cylinders.

·
Registered
248 Posts
This is definitely an interference motor. Been to school on it back in the day when I was still turning wrenches. Doesn't take too much to bend valves in this one. I think it is only 2 links out of time before you run into problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
wouldn't a jumped chain cause cam sync problems and throw a po300 code?. My guess is a broken chain guide that caused the chain to jump. If thats the case the oil pan might be full of the broken plastic guide

1 - 9 of 9 Posts