Ford Automobiles banner

Which should i do??

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I love the 460 engine but I think you would be happier with the super charger. That big block is super heavy and will alter the way your car drives and feels.

·
Registered
262 Posts
In honor of all the morons behind a parts counter.. I voted bronco's never came with a 460..:D

·
Registered
534 Posts
mabey it never came with a 460,im not sure but the f150 did. I put one in my 81 there are things you need and they are available, like a dual sump oil pan, after-market motor mounts and aftermarket acc brackets.
just trying to save you some heartaches.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
In honor of all the morons behind a parts counter.. I voted bronco's never came with a 460..:D

I didn't pay attention to the Bronco thing. Your right though. The Bronco never had a 460 so if it's in there someone put it there after the fact. They did come with a 400 though. Maybe that's what it is.

·
Registered
262 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
supercharge it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
up too late

I've had a 1983 460 fall into my lap. (still in the 78 bronco)... so my question is... do i swap it into my mont... OR do i just supercharge the mont??
I guess i was up way too late last night and i missed the mont as the target vehicle. For some reasonI thought you had an 80's truck.
Can i change my vote for supercharging?

·
Registered
102 Posts
i don't fall partial either way as long as you don't chevyize it. i do know that there's a kit to swap the 460 into the mustang so there are parts available. i've noticed that parts prices seem to be different between bb and sb ford engines. with the big blog being a bit cheaper in most cases. atleast that's how it is between the 302 and 360/390. i'm always up for more power. and i think a supercharger would do wonders for a small block and you wouldn't have all the swap work. but would still be very strong.

·
Registered
890 Posts
supercharge it!
jonzo had the supercharger idea first, so go with the bigblock, bore it out to 514ci.

unless you go with a 6-71. jonzo wants to go with a 174 since it will be friendlier on fuel, and i just ordered a 1000HP C4 for him instead of the T56...

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Supercharge it - the 460 is a pig and it will not handle nicely with the big block. I am speaking from experience. Besides, there are already Fairmonts and Zephyrs with 460's. I don't know of any with a supercharger AND it would be a hell of a lot easier to install. BUT!!!! If you big block it, I have struts and springs for it, because you will need to change them.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Supercharge it - the 460 is a pig and it will not handle nicely with the big block. I am speaking from experience. Besides, there are already Fairmonts and Zephyrs with 460's. I don't know of any with a supercharger AND it would be a hell of a lot easier to install. BUT!!!! If you big block it, I have struts and springs for it, because you will need to change them.
come on now... jonzo has been wanting to s/c his for the last 4 years, can't he get that one little piece of originality?

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
That is your opinion and I respect that, but offended at the same time....Now, I've done my homework and have carefully thought out my 460 swap. Sure it will never handle like a car with a smallblock, but they can be made to have respectable street manners. My car is mainly leaning towards a street/strip car, so I know this is never going to be a corner carver.

I didn't use a typical swap kit because they just seem to be thrown together. I instead built my own headers, mounts, and fabricated spacers for the k-member to achive the correct the engine/body geometry. Although I haven't driven it yet, or finished it for that matter, I feel that I'm right on par with having a decent street mannered car.

The engine sits approximately 3-4" lower and has at least 3" of engine set back, which is more than any swap kit that I've seen.

It still rides on stock replacement struts and stock GT front springs. In the enclosed picture, you will notice it's still nose high without the radiator, hood, or any of the engine accessories on... It should be perfect after it's driven and the springs settled in.

Fastfarmers car is a 460 5spd car....completely street driven...it doesn't look like a pig to me...It looks like he did his homework too!

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
putting a blower on the 460?
THAT WOULD BE F-ING SWEET!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts