Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused5:
Anyone know what tool it takes to remove the belt tensioner on a '93 Ranger. Tried a 1/4" allen wrench and a 7mm , but neither seems to fit right. Have to use a mirror to see the bolt head, but can't tell for sure whay it is.

·
Registered
798 Posts
It might be a torx head screw, I'm just guessing here but it's worth a try. You can get torx sockets at most part stores.

·
Registered
262 Posts
All the ones I've seen take a 15 or 16 mm socket.. Keep in mind that some of these pulley's have a reverse thread depending on there position... I'm guess you want to change just the pulley & not the entire tensioner..

·
Registered
262 Posts
I looked up for a 3.0 engine and couldnt find a bolt size, what size engine do you have?

I know on my 4.0 SOHC it was a bolt.

It's gotta be either the 2.3 or 3.0 because the 4.0 is held on with 2 bolts according to the parts pics on rockauto.. I'm still looking..

·
Registered
262 Posts
In my searching.. Try an 8mm hex...Spray a little wd-40 in there & let it sit for 5-10 min then use the 8mm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. The spring is broken, so I have to replace the whole unit. It is a 2.3 litre engine. An 8mm allen is too big, so maybe it is a torx. I was expecting a bolt head, but it is still the original.
Thanks guys

1 - 7 of 7 Posts