Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i have a ford e 150-1990-4.9l- 6 cil... 92,500 miles.. and i want to know wich is the best brand of oil recomended for my van... i always use pennzoil 10-w40..but i think if is save to put 20-w50 on it...... wich is the best brand in the market. thanks

·
Registered
798 Posts
I don't know the exact answer but........The best brands and weights of oils are always listed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I got this from my friend miesk5...

Oil, SAE Viscosity Recommendation TSB 98-8-16 by Ford for 89-96
APRIL 26, 1999
ISSUE: Ford Motor Company now recommends SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade forservicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle regardless of model year.
ACTION: When servicing any Ford gasoline-powered vehicle, use SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade motor oil. Refer to the following text for further details

For more information...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Castrol Syntec in the SVT and Castrol GTX High mileage in the Windstar, use mfr suggested weight.

·
Registered
262 Posts
The difference in oils grades is in the viscosity..Thicker oils are fine in summer heat conditions. But aren't very good for cold weather & cold start ups. You have more wear on an engine on the cold start up than you do with the engine running. So I suggest use the grade that is recommended for your engine.. If it's a 5w30 or 10w40 that's what you should use..

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
i've gone Valvoline in my last car. changed the oil every 3k miles, and when i finally had to change a head gasket 400,000 miles later, the cylinders still had the cross hatch pattern, the heads were clean, and never had a problem on that end. BTW it was a 440ci dodge... since i was stationed in the desert i only put 20W50 in her, but the coldest it got there was 50 degrees...

·
Registered
262 Posts
i've gone Valvoline in my last car. changed the oil every 3k miles, and when i finally had to change a head gasket 400,000 miles later, the cylinders still had the cross hatch pattern, the heads were clean, and never had a problem on that end. BTW it was a 440ci dodge... since i was stationed in the desert i only put 20W50 in her, but the coldest it got there was 50 degrees...
Maybe you can talk to one of your old buddies & borrow me a Javelin anti tank missle as so I can properly fix this Windstar...:D

I'm starting to relate this van with the 1980 Chevy Citation:yikes:.. Absolutely hell to work on..:devil:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.