Ford Automobiles banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have the name of a product they have used to get rid of hard water spots?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
You car first try to use a good clay bar (mother's makes one you can buy at kragon or napa) if that does not work you going to need to polish the paint with a machine polisher, there is a special technique to machine polish a car so i recommend take it to a good detail shop.Are you sure it's not acid rain etching the paint?

Reactions: trhaus

·
Registered
184 Posts
if that does not work, you might need to try compound or if its really bad 2000 or 3000 grit paper followed up by compound and the a machine polish and finally wax

here in baltimore there is a lot of acid rain spots that are deep in the paint when ignored so we have to get a little more aggressive, I have been painting/repairing cars for 20 yrs

·
Registered
133 Posts
i do believe what just_ed is saying is right. but u need to be very careful when sanding a car with 2000 grit, one grain dirt and u have now got a scratch that is very hard to get rid of / hide. for a good result and less potential for failure i would recomend the clay bar.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
Do not sand a car to remove hard water spots. Hard water spots are just dried minerals left behind after the rain or sprinkler water dries on your car, same crap that plugs up shower heads.

These can be removed with Vinegar and water 50/50 mix or a product called CLR. If you can not remove the hard water spots with these products you do not have hard water spots, you have acid rain damage.

Acid rain eats into the finish and the only way to remove the damage is wet sanding or a new clear coat on your car.

Hard water spots are raised on the surface of the paint, acid rain damage is recessed into the paint.

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you make a 50/50 water and vinegar mix, I recommend using filtered water. My water is very hard out here and I still haven't decided what to do about normal car washes, but for getting spots off I use 50/50 reverse-osmosis drinking water and distilled white vinegar.

I only use the vinegar mixture on glass, though. I just leave the water spots on the rest of the car, because it's white anyway. Vinegar is acid, and when you put vinegar on your car you are basically putting acid on it. Maybe that's better or maybe it's worse, but I'm not going to auto shows or anything, so I take the spots off the glass for visibility, and leave them anywhere else they may be for durability.

I think that a regular wash with distilled water will take off water spots, but distilled water is hard to find or make (and can be more reactive rust-wise, too.)

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you make a 50/50 water and vinegar mix, I recommend using filtered water. My water is very hard out here and I still haven't decided what to do about normal car washes, but for getting spots off I use 50/50 reverse-osmosis drinking water and distilled white vinegar.

I think that a regular wash with distilled water will take off water spots, but distilled water is hard to find or make (and can be more reactive rust-wise, too.)
Distilled water is very easy to find in grocery stores. it is sold to be used in irons (ironing) and some infants have medical problems that require distilled water.

Just read the various labels on the bottled water you find in the grocery stores.

WHITE VINEGAR is what Rain-X calls for when cleaning auto window glass before using their product. I find that vinegar also removes Rain-X so remember then when cleaning a Rain-X treated windscreen (guess how I found out).

I too have the spots in the black paint in the Cherbbie I am currently driving, sanding is a waste of time if you do not intend to apply a good coat of carnubia wax RIGHT NOW. You sand away the spots and the next morning they start to form once again. This area is experiencing high humidty at this time and each morning the car looks like it just came out of a car wash (dew).

Noticed that after wiping the car afew hours later there is a smear of mud where the cloth didn't absorb all the water. if i keep sanding I'd be down to bare metal in no time. Watered down vinegar is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I thought that my car had water spots on it and took it to a detail shop and they said they could remove them.
After working on it for a long while they called me back and said it was indeed acid rain.
Clear coat is a fine product but once it is damaged you throw money away trying to fix the unfixable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Distilled water is very easy to find in grocery stores. it is sold to be used in irons (ironing) and some infants have medical problems that require distilled water.
I didn't think about getting distilled water from the grocery store. It seems kind of fancy to get a bunch of 1-gallon jugs of water just to wash your car with, but it might be economical compared to distilling it yourself. In any case, if you're mixing some spray up to clean your windows it makes perfect sense to get distilled water from the grocery store.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts